Battery Life of Battery Powered Fencer

Help Support Steer Planet:

pweaver

We're putting up some temporary fence on the back side of our pasture away from electric.  What are your thoughts and experiences with battery powered fencers and how long can I expect the battery to last?  It's a deep cycle marine type 12 volt and the distance we're covering with two wires is 150 - 200 feet.  There's old fence there but last year the bull worked it over and we're just trying to be on the safe side keeping cows in.  The bull is staying in another pasture this year and we'll rotate cows in and out as their cycle dates come around after AI.

CAB

I have used both battery powered and solar charged fencers. I would sat without a doubt that I would choose the solar fencers available today over any battery charged fencer. I have tried many solars over the years and easily the best I have ran across is the ParMac solar unit. Of coarse you will periodically need to put a new battery in it to keep it working properly. If an electric fencer is working correctly, you should only need to run 1 wire. 2 wires won't shock any better than 1. The second wire is just another place to ground the fence. JMO

beebe

I agree with CAB.  If I owned a battery and an energizer, I would still buy a Parmac 12 volt solar energizer.  It is worth it in the lack of hassle to check and charge your battery.

Steffco

I agree with the Parmac solar fencer choice. I have 3 of the 6-volt energizers and have had to only replace one battery in 6 years.  They are the best buy for the money.  The 12-volt parmac energizers are also very good, but more expensive for only minimal increase in power.

RyanChandler

CAB said:
I have used both battery powered and solar charged fencers. I would sat without a doubt that I would choose the solar fencers available today over any battery charged fencer.

Absolutely.  I did the battery deal for a several years and I am so glad I've now switched over to all solar charges.  They are a bit more costly upfront but when you take into consideration the cost of buying a good battery and charger, and the routine maintenance of recharging the battery - I think you're money ahead with the solars. 

If you already have the battery and charger though, they work just fine too.    I don't know that distance plays a factor in how long the battery stays charged, but I would expect you'll need to charge it close to monthly. 

librarian

We are off grid and hooked a deep cycle marine battery up to a 75 watt solar panel then ran the panel to a dc fence (Zareba) charger and to the fence. You need a charge controller between the panel and the battery to prevent overcharging. The 75 watt panel is overkill, but that fence stayed HOT and the battery stayed charged forever. Every store bought solar fence charger we used was lame and failed. That's why we tried the bigger panel. 35  watts is more appropriate.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E7NDMC4/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1433510704&sr=8-5&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=50+watt+solar+panel

http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Controller-Regulator-Battery-Charging/dp/B00BCTLIHC

uluru

I have the same setup as Librarian for a bear fence to keep the animals off of the deck at my cottage in the north.
12 volt deep cycle battery, 40 watt solar panel with controller and a 25 mile Zareba charger.
It replaced a solar charger that never properly worked.
This setup is on from spring until late fall and never needs any attention.
Very price effective also.