Battle River Bull Sale

Help Support Steer Planet:

jaimiediamond

On March 10 2011 there is the Battle River Bull & Female Sale being held in Ponoka Alberta. http://issuu.com/anguswebmail/docs/battleriver2012?mode=embed&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Fcolor%2Flayout.xml&backgroundColor=CCCCCC&showFlipBtn=true&logo=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.donsavageauctions.com%2Fdsname.png&logoOffsetY=5

I found that there are A LOT of interesting genetic opportunities  being seen with some Canadian, some Canadian x Australian and then some Canadian and American bloodlines being blended.

Some of the breeders being represented are Crooked Post Shorthorns, Diamond Shorthorns, Glory Jay Shorthorns, Heather Dawn Haydock, Kenlene, Langco Enterprises, Lazy H J Stock Farms, Paintearth Shorthorns, UR Ranches.

jaimiediamond

Crooked Post lot 10 calf (26Y)'s dam.  She was one of my favorites when I toured their herd

Attachments

• crooked post hope 8t.jpg
    crooked post hope 8t.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 155

jaimiediamond

Diamond Yamen 5Y lot 22 rear shot from today

Attachments

• DIAMOND YAMEN 5Y rear.JPG
    DIAMOND YAMEN 5Y rear.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 167

LDT

this offering has moved a long way in a short time.  Will be great if the breeders can commit to making it one of elite events in Alberta.  They do have enough diversity and volume in these herds to make it a Source for Top Breeding Stock, If everyone commits and everone supports the other programs.  Assume you will have 100 people wanting your 50 bulls and sell them that way,  If you go in thinking there are only 10 homes for the 50 bulls on offer and You dicide top throw dirt, guess what.....the old Indian says He who throws dirt looses ground.....

jaimiediamond

I think this year everyone is very positive about the offering this year.  I have had the opportunity to walk through the Crooked Post offering which were very practical cattle.  At this time unfortunately that is the only group I have seen in the flesh aside from our two bulls (until March 10 ;)).  I am really looking forward to seeing all of the bulls especially Heather Haycock's two very impressive looking Panther sons. I do know there is some serious commercial interest in this sale which has me pumped!

trevorgreycattleco

How serious? Like bull stud serious? Or several different commercial producers? Good to see lots of interest.  Good for you guys. How many cows are in western Canada? I assume a bunch. That country sure looks awesome. Dont quiet have those kinda views in Ohiio! I have neighbors who tell me the cows are loud at weaning time and it stinks when the wind blows from my house. I always say "smells like money to me"

Good luck with the sale. great name btw

LDT

trevorgreycattleco said:
How serious? Like bull stud serious? Or several different commercial producers? Good to see lots of interest.  Good for you guys. How many cows are in western Canada? I assume a bunch. That country sure looks awesome. Dont quiet have those kinda views in Ohiio! I have neighbors who tell me the cows are loud at weaning time and it stinks when the wind blows from my house. I always say "smells like money to me"

Good luck with the sale. great name btw
Half hour to maybe an hour from the Edmonton airport I would think.  Fly up, grab a car and have a look.  There are lots of interesting cattle offered. The Battle River sourses in that area and west joining the North Saskatchewan east of North Battleford , Saskatchewan eventually discharging into Hudson's Bay.....If anybody is interested.  Lots of Canadian History along the Battle River, Riel Rebellion 1885....

jaimiediamond

mark tenenbaum said:
jaimiediamond said:
Diamond Yamen 5Y lot 22 rear shot from today //// BOY-is he better than the sale picture-only resemblence to me is the red color. O0

We had only decided last minute to enter the sale so the picture was taken just after we started both bulls on feed. The background on them is that both bulls were on a free choice mixed grass hay.  On December 26, 2011 we introduced them to a 12% Beef Calf Grower ration on top of the free choice hay. The photo was taken on January 19 2012 when he had only been on feed for 24 days.  The second photo is after being on feed for 53 days :D

thunderdownunder

They are looking really good Jaimie, totally different bulls to the ones I saw a month ago. They have come a long, long way!  <beer>

stick

Know of anything coming into the states toward the midwest?