Battling weight gain (Me, not my cattle)

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

Since we enjoy talking about all sorts of things...
Ok, I have been accused of overfeeding my livestock and pets too, but....
I have been battling my weight for pretty much my whole life.  :( And now that I am a wee bit older  :mad: I have taken a challenge to myself to throw the knock out punch, but dang I NEED HELP!  (Ok, it was also prodding from a Dr. that maybe I need to "try a little harder". ::) )
Trying to stick with the "low glycemic index" thing...but know nothing about it, and seems like NOTHING is high fiber, low carb, and ediable. And the book I have isn't much help at "country foods".! ;)
Anyone have any good tips for sticking to an eating plan? Diet tips? Recipes?  I LOVE to cook, and bake and therefore I love to eat. I grew up where everything was homemade, and you had meat, tators, veggies,  butter, gravy,  and then dessert!
So when I get a plate with a small chunk a meat, asparagus sprigs, and a bit sized brownie I just laugh.
Honestly, I need help.
And Red, I understand the battle your having GAINING weight....anyone with suggestions for her? I would just say EAT, EAT, EAT EVERYTHING, but I know for a fact it isn't that easy. :-\

cowz

Hey, Im with ya girl!  Im not a rail either!   Last year I had totally had it!  My hubby had a heart attack.  We had to rethink how we ate!!!  I lost 50 # last summer, had been creeping up on me since the births of my sons. (Unfortunatey the worst winter on record did not help me keep it all off!)

(Red, if you read this replace all of my suggestions with a chocolate shake!!)

Water,water,water.   If you do not feel like you can consume 64 oz aday, try it flavored or iced.    This I learned from my hubby's doc.....Food is better for us closest to its original source.  Fresh fruit and veggies that have not been processed are best.   No premade foods, casseroles (unless low fat)., desserts (rats!),etc.   Get creative with green salads and lean beef.   We chunk up  roast beef or steak on green salads and experiment with new dressings, etc.  potatoes are not the enemy as long as you do the no fat thing on the toppings....onions, chives, yogurt, etc.  Nothing breaded.  If you fry, use light olive oil.  Try out the new Morton's half salt.  We all take in way too much sodium, which makes us retain fluids, and prevents weight loss.  Will yourself to not allow any junk food in the house.  We all know that if it in the cupboard, we will eventually have a bad day and munch on it.  The hardest thing for us to kick was Doritos.! :'(  No chips....chips are the devil!

Yes, we learned to like yogurt, (yikes) chunked up with some nuts and fruit!   Sorbet and sherbert actually make tolerable desserts!  Oatmeal is something you can do for breakfast that tends to stay with you.

Also, try out he low cholesterol eggs with low fat cheese for a quick supper or breakfast.  Do not waste you $ on egg beaters....the no cholesterol egg substitute....it it truly vile.

I guess we adopted a high protein, low fat approach and it did work for us.  Protein for breakfast stays with  you longer.  Good luck and keep me posted!

shortyjock89

Well, I know a bit about having a hard time GAINING weight.  Last fall I had to have heart surgery. I went in weighing about 145 (I'm not a huge guy). When I got home and all that, I was down to about 117  :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!  I thought I would never get back up to weight.  It took a little while, but I'm up over 150 now.  The way I did it was to eat alot, yes, but also to eat things that were healthy.  I would eat alot of oatmeal and barley / beef vegetable soup (one of dad's specialties!!)  I also ate a ton of fruit.  I know that fruit doesn't really help you gain a whole lot of weight, but fruit provides alot of nutrients you may miss out on if you just eat until you burst!  I was hungry for peanuts and peanut butter alot too.  I'm not sure what the deal there was, but those kinds of food definately stick to your ribs!  Other than that, I just kept increasing my intake and it's pretty hard to stop me now!  I'm about 5'11" and weigh about 150, so I'm still pretty much a stick, but I'm getting there! ;D

red

You guys are going to kill me but I lost 9 pounds in 6 months.  :eek:
For Red that is not a good thing. My hubby actually gasped when he saw me this morning getting shower. I've been trying to hide from him. He works late & I'm in bathrobe when he leaves. I got a good chewing out.
Would love to help. Send some my way!!!

Red

Telos

Red and everyone else who needs to gain weight... I'm around food all day and just get uninterested with eating it. Something that is easy to make and easy to eat  are protein shakes. Once you get all the ingredients and a  blender you're in business. The trick is to just get yourself set up for success. Most grocery stores will have all the ingredients you will ever need. A good protein powder with a high caloric content is important. If fresh fruit is not practical, use the frozen-- like strawberries or any other kind of berries. Bananas are great too. Use peanut butter if you can eat it. Chocolate syrup is good with bananas and peanut butter. Everything keeps for a good while except the bananas. Yogurts and fiber stuff are also available. There's a lot of choices. They are tasty and very fast to make and palatable to eat when you don't have too much time to make other foods. Of course, don't forget the ice cubes to make these tasty shakes.

Once you get set up...  It's easy. The trick is to set yourself up for success. Don't be afraid of all the calories!

These shakes can also be beneficial for you guys trying to lose weight too. Just watch the calories and use the low fat yogurts or skim milk and watch the sugar content. Our dietitians where I work recommend eating 5 smaller meals a day to help keep your metabolism active. These specified diets are proven not to work in the long run. Getting in the habit of eating more of the healthier foods and less of the fattier foods is important. Eating more often is recommended most often at my health club by dietitians.

OH Breeder

Show Heifer,
If I were you, when i worked in open heart surgery and educated people on diet. The easiest way to get control of your weight is to follow a diabetic diet. Obivously don't start to low on the caloric intake but, it is easy to find and is very healthy. Once you get to a comfortable  weight some areas you may relax. But, it is the easiest thing to find on the internet.

(there of course was the atkins diet and it was not meant for the mass's it was meant for special patient population).

genes

Show Heifer, nix the white bread and other white products.  I used to only eat white bread because I didn't really like brown bread (didn't hate it, just didn't really like it).  But a year or so ago I just switched it all to whole wheat....bread, wraps, pasta.  I only eat white bread in restaurants, and now when I eat a white hot dog bun it tastes like paste.  So you can adapt your tastes.  Not going to pretend that it's a cure all, but it certainly helps. 

Another thing, since you like homemade, is my mom makes a lot of soups and I think they class as pretty healthy (rarely does she make a cream soup, and even then I think she fakes it).  And they would be low carb.  The other thing that is nice about them is she makes a huge pot on the weekend, then there are leftovers for lunch for the week.

Oh and call me  O0 but I love yogurt, and granola in yogurt.  Except once I acidentally bought gluten free - and turns out just about everything else you could think of free  - (so what was it made of anyway?) and oh man was that awful  :-\  Worst thing ever.  I had briefly looked at the possibility of trying a gluten free diet for my issues, but that turned me off that idea pretty quick.  I'll have my potatoes thanks.

OH Breeder

Whtie bread is  starch. Diabetic diets go through an exchange program of fats, sugars starches etc. Just find a simple one to start. Are there any diabetics on the board. They can probably tell you more than I.

TJ

Show Heifer said:
Since we enjoy talking about all sorts of things...
Ok, I have been accused of overfeeding my livestock and pets too, but....
I have been battling my weight for pretty much my whole life.  :( And now that I am a wee bit older  :mad: I have taken a challenge to myself to throw the knock out punch, but dang I NEED HELP!  (Ok, it was also prodding from a Dr. that maybe I need to "try a little harder". ::) )
Trying to stick with the "low glycemic index" thing...but know nothing about it, and seems like NOTHING is high fiber, low carb, and ediable. And the book I have isn't much help at "country foods".! ;)
Anyone have any good tips for sticking to an eating plan? Diet tips? Recipes?  I LOVE to cook, and bake and therefore I love to eat. I grew up where everything was homemade, and you had meat, tators, veggies,  butter, gravy,  and then dessert!
So when I get a plate with a small chunk a meat, asparagus sprigs, and a bit sized brownie I just laugh.
Honestly, I need help.
And Red, I understand the battle your having GAINING weight....anyone with suggestions for her? I would just say EAT, EAT, EAT EVERYTHING, but I know for a fact it isn't that easy. :-\

I'm no expert, but I know what has worked for me & what hasn't.  Lots of gimmicks will cause you to lose weight only to gain it back.  It's better to go slow & you will be more likely to keep it off longer that way. 

Diet is only 1/2 the equation & unless you exercise correctly you will eventually fail.  Yes, you need to eat right, but you need to do cardio & resistance training too, if you want your results to last.  I'll share what has been successful for me in the past (when I practice what I am preaching right now ;-)... 

1st, forget the words diet & whatever you do, don't starve yourself.  Just eat right.  That means eating several balanced meals each day... more fruit & vegtables & eating less foods that are high in sugar, soft drinks & high calorie foods.  Try to eat food in as close to it's natural state as possible & try to avoid overly processed food.  Whole grains are best when eating bread or cereal.  Especially, try to totally avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup in it!!  Also, forget about nutra sweet & all the other artificial sweeteners too... they may not have calories, but they don't help you to loose weight at all!!  Meat, especially beef, lamb, deer, chicken, turkey, salmon & tuna, is good for you in moderate amounts.  You need protein.  Whey protein shakes are very good for you & supply high quality protein, but don't use the shakes to replace all of your meals... two shakes per day is plenty.  Also, don't stop eating red meat just because you've heard it is bad for you.  I'd stay away from pork though, plus fried chicken (or any fried meat) & catfish/most seafood.  Eggs are OK too, but try to cut out some of the yellows & eat more of the whites.  Eat ever few hours in smaller meals to keep yourself from being hungry & don't over indulge at any one time.  That's about all you need to do as far as diet. 

2nd, cardio... you need to do at least 20 minutes of cardio, 3 times per week.  An hour each time is better, but work yourself up slowly.  You can do cardio up to 6 times per week, but don't do cardio every single day, your body needs to rest at least 1 day every week.  3 times per week is plenty.

3rd, resistance training (or weights)... this will add some muscle, tone you up & that muscle will speed up your metabolism causing you to burn more calories & lose more fat.  Also, just working out will burn a lot of calories.  Now don't worry, I am not talking turning you into a body builder... just doing enough to tone you up & keep you toned.  You can do this 3 times per week (on the days you don't do cardio is best) & that will be good enough for what you are wanting to do.  Start by fast walking or jogging for 5-10 minutes right before you start working out with the weights (it will warm you up & help to prevent injury).  Get a weight lifting book for beginners or ask a personal trainer to help you device a plan.  Make sure you target all the muscle groups so that you develop them all at the same rate.  I know this might sound like a burden, but once you start toning up & replacing fat with lean mass, you will enjoy working out... trust me.  IMHO, this is one of the most important & most overlooked aspect of weight loss. 

4th, allow yourself one day off each week.  Don't work out or try do much, if any cardio 1 day per week.  You need to rest.  Normal work is OK, just try not to over do it more than 6 days per week.     

5th, 1 day a week eat whatever food you crave (ice cream, chocolate, donuts, soft drinks, etc.) but try not to eat too much at any one time... several smaller meals is still best.

If you do all that & if you ever quit, the weight wont come back on as quicklyr.  The above is the only thing that ever really worked for me.  My best results were when I was doing an hour of cardio 6 days per week & working out with weights 6 days per week too (different body parts each day), but I was in killer great shape when I was doing all that & a lot smaller & buffed than I am right now.  What I mentioned above will work good enough if you just do the cardio 3 days per week & the resisitance training 3 days per week.  Now if I can just find the time to start doing it again myself, I just might get back into great shape!!  Seems I've packed on a few lbs.since I stopped about 8 years ago!!  ;) 

red

Wow, great info for us all!
Show Hef, I notice that when you get stressed, you bake. It's great for relevaing the stress but too often we eat more than we should by just picking up a couple of cookies & not realizing it. Wonder if you put on some really loud music & just tried to dance the stress away. Ask justme, she's scared her poor UPS driver more than one time by shaking her booty in her workroom.
Or take a walk, learn yoga, take up boxing or just anything to work it out of your system.

Red

Show Heifer

Thanks you guys!!! You really have no idea how much I appreciate all your help and support! (clapping)
I have never been a "pop" drinker! And desserts I can eat but don't crave them (even though I bake a lot, I rarely eat them once they cool down!). But you better come with a big stick if you try to take my pasta, potatoes, and bread away (even whole wheat, stone ground). And if you do manage to get it away from me, I will hurt you!! I also really like california mix (broc, califlower, carrots). So I add that to everything!!
But, so far, I have switched to smaller, more freq.  meals, only 100% whole grain bread (not sure what all those lumps are, but it is good), and grapenuts with no toast for breakfast (that one hurts!). I try and eat fruit (although not a fan of most fruit) and am drinking tea and fruit water until I float. I also try to add lots of fiber...although do you realize how little fiber there is in food??
Lets see, excerise: well, I look up cows in a 150 acre pasture on foot. I chore. I plant garden (I plant garden, pick garden, but hate to weed garden!!)  I do enjoy riding my bike, although haven't done it for years! So I will work on that part of the plan!  ::)
I bought a glycemic load book on insulin resistance, and am now looking for a diabetic book (Thanks OH breeder). My Dr. says that is why I am so tired after I eat, almost like I am drugged! :p
So that is where I am now. Its only day 4.  But I am trying!!!
Keep the suggestions coming! I truely appreciate them all, and need all the help I can get!  :)

red

Sounds like you need to get your blood sugar tested! I run super low, so always carry glucose tablets w/ me just in case.
Watch that flavored water. Some can contain more suger & calories than regular pop. I use the little packets of Crystal Light & add it to bottled water.
I know when they asked me if I excerize & I tell them no but explain what I do on a regular basis. They still like a cardio work-out or something that gets your heartrate going faster for a period of time. No- sugestive comments needed here! Still like to boogie on down to the music best!

red

DL

I have always been scrawny and if I don't sit right on the tractor or the skid steer the alarms go off (lawn mower for that matter too) so my ag equipment dealer has had to do a lot of thinking outside the box to fix those problems (the constant beeping drives a person nuts but the skid steer stops the bucket mid scoop...aghhh)

anyhow I have a couple of observations that don't necessarily have anything directly do do with eating but I think are relevant (ps I think you got good info here SH)

this is sort of the trigger - habit - environment thing - eating is a very social family thing - it is really pretty complicated!

Lets say you want to quit smoking and every morning you get up and have a cup of coffee and a cig - chances are you don't think about it you just do it, so you have to change the habit - so if you have breakfast usually in a chair watching TV move to the table and read the paper. I think in many cases eating is just a habit - train yourself to eat only when you are hungry

On the same lines look at when you eat and why? Pissed off ? Drink a big glass of water and stomp around the outside of the house, don't go to the kitchen and grab a roll  ;D I guess what I am trying to get at is that is is really a lifestyle change - and you need realistic expectations and if you slip forgive yourself and move on

I also think the grazing (eating more often less amounts) is a good idea ..I believe that I am babbling here....

red

I think that was some really good points DL! I think if you kept a food diary for a couple of days you'd be shocked by what you did eat. Put down your mood too.
Another thing that we've found, hubby w/ his crutches has too really watch his weight, eating late at night is a no-no. You just don't digest the food well & can't burn off the extra calories. I'm a big believer in lots of mini meals. Love to graze! I think summer is a great time to lose weight because you have all the fresh veggies & fruits from the garden.
I know all this weight advice from me sounds silly but I did struggle w/ excess weight earlier in life. In fact a quote from my mom when I started loosing all the weight was " Oh well, you were getting heavy" Also another famous quote when I told her once I had gained a couple of pounds back was " Now, don't go & get fat again!" Gotta love a mom like that!  ::)

Red

AAOK

I'll chime in on what TJ had to say.  I grew up a little fat kid; never huge, but always too fat.  I could smell a cupcake, and gain a pound.  I lost 30 pounds when I was 15, and 35 pounds again when I was 18.  Both times I gave up sugar, and never, never ate anything after 3pm.  The weight fell quickly, but always came back.  My Junior year of college, I changed my Major to Recreation Management.  The second semester I had 15 hours of activity classes.  I was in the Gym three days a week from 8am - Noon, and two nights a week in the pool from 6pm - 10pm.  This time I ate enough for two or three people and lost 43 pounds.  My metabolism completely changed.  I began to enjoy physical labor, and regular workouts.  In the past 30+ years I have gained 10 pounds.  I'll have to admit, daily maintenance gets a little tougher every year past 50.  I'm a firm believer that weight gain/loss has much more to do with how much is burned off, than how much, or what is consumed.  I eat whatever I want, but do try to eat somewhat smart.  I eat too many sweats, but everyone needs a Vice.  I am a grazer, eating two or three light meals before lunch; my main meal of the day.  I'll snack through the afternoon, and end my day with a heaping bowl of Ice Cream (same vice; don't count as 2).  I wake up every morning about 4:45am.  I do about 30 minutes of Yoga and Pilates to get good and stretched.  I then do about 30 minutes on my Total Gym.  I used to use free weights, until I got my toy.  My Orthopedist gave me strict orders to limit myself to 50 pounds, with lots of repetitions. My wife and I take a Power Walk about three evenings a week.  I'm living proof that muscle really does burn fat.  I know this to be true because I take in quite a bit of fat (too much). 

My Theory:  Eat good foods as often as possible; indulge whenever you want.  Get plenty of aerobic exercise, and don't neglect the strength training.

genes

red said:
Sounds like you need to get your blood sugar tested! I run super low, so always carry glucose tablets w/ me just in case.
Watch that flavored water. Some can contain more suger & calories than regular pop. I use the little packets of Crystal Light & add it to bottled water.
I know when they asked me if I excerize & I tell them no but explain what I do on a regular basis. They still like a cardio work-out or something that gets your heartrate going faster for a period of time. No- sugestive comments needed here! Still like to boogie on down to the music best!

red

Red do you just buy glucose tablets at the drugstore or whatever? 

I also just realized Rob tried to give me sugar free juice last night as a boost when he thought I was going loopy.  :D  Maybe I should find some of those tablets......

red

yes, they're in the diabetic isles. Mines get way low sometimes, I've gotten below 40 several times. We have a meter here at the house. I've found that if I start feeling funny or headache I'll take one.

Red

TJ

Show Heifer said:
Thanks you guys!!! You really have no idea how much I appreciate all your help and support! (clapping)
I have never been a "pop" drinker! And desserts I can eat but don't crave them (even though I bake a lot, I rarely eat them once they cool down!). But you better come with a big stick if you try to take my pasta, potatoes, and bread away (even whole wheat, stone ground). And if you do manage to get it away from me, I will hurt you!! I also really like california mix (broc, califlower, carrots). So I add that to everything!!
But, so far, I have switched to smaller, more freq.  meals, only 100% whole grain bread (not sure what all those lumps are, but it is good), and grapenuts with no toast for breakfast (that one hurts!). I try and eat fruit (although not a fan of most fruit) and am drinking tea and fruit water until I float. I also try to add lots of fiber...although do you realize how little fiber there is in food??
Lets see, excerise: well, I look up cows in a 150 acre pasture on foot. I chore. I plant garden (I plant garden, pick garden, but hate to weed garden!!)  I do enjoy riding my bike, although haven't done it for years! So I will work on that part of the plan!  ::)
I bought a glycemic load book on insulin resistance, and am now looking for a diabetic book (Thanks OH breeder). My Dr. says that is why I am so tired after I eat, almost like I am drugged! :p
So that is where I am now. Its only day 4.  But I am trying!!!
Keep the suggestions coming! I truely appreciate them all, and need all the help I can get!  :)

Sounds like you are on the right track & be sure to keep up the positive attitude!!  I knew I was forgetting stuff, but most it has already been mentioned.  Drinking plenty of water is important, but that has already been covered.  Green tea is also really good... I love it!! 

RE exercize... Sounds like you are very active already & that is good, but I want to share something that might be mind boggling.  Within the past 8 years, I worked as a city postal carrier two summers in a row (6 months each time).  I walked at least 5-6 hours per day & had a mail bag that could weigh up to 30-40 lbs. at times.  I took the job orginally for the exercize & to lose some weight.  I started eating better too.  What that job & eating better did do...

#1. it lowered my blood pressure.
#2...  I did lose a few lbs., but not nearly as much as I thought I would.

Point being, any physical activity is very good for you.  Eating right is also good for you, but to really lose the lbs. I have learned that you have got to get your heart elevated for at least 20 minutes straight to do much good.  Also, casual walking wont cut it, even walking at a decent pace, wont cut it, you've got to go fairly fast to get that heart rate up & to keep it up.  You mentioned riding a bicycle, that is an excellent thing to do, just as long as you don't coast too much.     

Another thing, even though I was walking for miles each a day, I wasn't doing any resistance exercize at all during that time period because I was pressed for time & that is one big reason why I think that I wasn't seeing very good results.  Honestly, if I had to pick between cardio & resistance exercize for weight loss, I'd pick resisitance excrize because you will get quicker results by doing it & the results seem to last longer too because you build muscle tone which burns more calories.  You don't have to do weights... push ups, sit ups, pull ups, lateral squats without weight, etc.  will work just fine.  You also don't have to lift really heavy stuff either.  Lower weight & higher reps will do the job plenty well. 

Anyway, best wishes on your quest to lose a few inches!!  You can do it, just stay positive & stay motivated!! 

knabe

i finally have to "weigh" in.

sometimes i eat ice cream and beer for dinner when i'm tired.  i can tell when i need to quit when i can grap a certain handful and quit for a few weeks.  a book for eating easy to make and good stuff are the series by marilu henner.  her shrimp stuff is really good.  not really a diet thing, like dr. phil's supposed sham, which we cook from too, but in general, in CA her ingredients are readily available.  there is an awesome sugar i like, it's darker, called turbinado, made by steaming unrefined raw sugar.  I can't remember the last time i added regular sugar to anything.  of course it's hard to not find it in things.  we avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague, try to find bread without it.  remember, the less you do to bread the more expensive it is, yet a bushel still costs the same as in 1922.

i also like a salad dressing we make with 2/3 olive oil, 1/3 balsamic vinegar with some sweet mustard for congealing.  you can add stuff from there like lemon, spices if you like, just like paul newman, but it's cheap and good.  it goes reallllllllllllllllllllllly good with duck confit (which i don't make, but purchase), cranberries, nuts, feta cheese and spinach.

i don't get any regimented excersice.  got up to 200 once, now down to 175,180 mostly.

corn maux cheaux?