BB RND II Jakes Proud Jazz (64) over Rodeo Drive (46)

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jakes Proud Jazz vs Rodeo Drive

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aj

I know it's kinda hard to believe but the Shorthorn(Durham) breed has been around for what....500 years. I am fairly certain the breed will exist another 100 years. It may be possible the breed will exist after Trump. It may exist after jpj and Rodeo Drive. It may get along without aj,shortdawg cates,itn and jit and cagwin and everything else. But we as breeders take ourselves way to serious most of the time. The Salers, Gelbveih, Limi's,Maines, and all appendix may be pink colored by then but I assume the red white and roans will still be here.jmo

justintime

Rodeo Drive should win this round if the voters look back over history for a few years. If you are only thinking present times, then JPJ will win. Rodeo Drive was like many bulls, in that he through an occasional big BW but the majority of his calves were quite moderate at birth. Two of the easiest calving bulls I have ever used were a son of RD and a grandson of RD. His dam was a graded up cow that was 1/16 Chi and she was a lighter red in color rather than a dark cherry red color. She was a bigger framed cow with a flawless udder.

I was offered the first syndicate share in RD when he was shown at Denver as a calf. I asked if I could think on it for awhile, as I was concerned that I would not get semen for that breeding season seeing he was only a May calf. By that evening 9 shares had sold and there was only one share left. Seeing there were another 4 people wanting the last share, I had to make a decision. I finally decided I would not buy a share and I have spent many years regretting this decision.

Rodeo Drive was not perfect, just as Proud Jazz is not perfect. I have seen some excellent offspring from both sires, I have also seen some god awful ones. In my top 10 list of females I have ever seen, there are 3 daughters of Rodeo Drive. One is a cow that I own with mechanic ( on SP) and she is on a truck heading to my farm as I write this. She is now 10 years old but she is as sound as a cow can be made and she has tremendous shape and capacity.

Both these bulls have an important place in our industry, but I still maintain that when breed history is recorded 30 years from now, there will be more pages devoted to Rodeo Drive than there will be for Proud Jazz..... but then, that is just my opinion.