BC Eagle Eye 110-7

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattledog

Has anyone seen this bull or know anything about him?  I'm thinking of infusing some Ohlde genetics into my herd and this guy caught my eye.

bluffcountrycattle

Although I haven't seen any first hand, I'll have 4 due here in Feb.  There is a video of him on www.cattle.com under the '09 Denver display bulls.  He was almost a 2 year old last year out at Denver and I heard positive comments although I wasn't there.  I believe Conley's and Pembroke's were the only ones to get calves this year before Genex picked him up for their lineup.  I was looking for something along the lines of BC Lookout, but wanted a little more frame size and performance.  Hope he does the trick!  I didn't use him on heifers, just cows, until there are more progeny out and higher birth weight accuracies.  Genex has heifer sorted semen on him now, so I'm considering him to AI my yearling heifers to make heifer calves...which should turn out to be great females I think with his pedigree.  The only slighltly negative comment that I've heard is that he is slightly open shouldered...not sure if it is a big deal or if it will affect his calving ease.  Guess we'll know soon enough!  Kinda excited to see what they look like...

Sassy Show Stock

If He's The Eagle Eye that is being collected at Genex Hawkeye West in Billings, MT I've seen him...and we are using him on our cattle at the college. He looks like a good bull, the only real concern we had about him as a judging team/AI class from the college is that he has a really coarse shoulder and is a little tight in his forerib, other than that we think he's a good fit for our (mostly angus) cows.

smurf

I heard this weekend that he is supposed to be the real deal.  The guy that was telling me this was saying he's supposed to click on showy females influenced by bulls like Saugahatchee, Lutton, etc. 

I might give him a try....

bluffcountrycattle

smurf said:
I heard this weekend that he is supposed to be the real deal.  The guy that was telling me this was saying he's supposed to click on showy females influenced by bulls like Saugahatchee, Lutton, etc. 

I might give him a try....
Smurf...I sent you a PM

BadgerFan

Eagle Eye has impressed me each and every time I've seen him.  I like my Lookout calves and I'd expect the Eagle Eyes to be similar in pattern, though slightly higer performing and more consistant in frame score.  Excellent bull in my opinion.

bluffcountrycattle

BadgerFan said:
Eagle Eye has impressed me each and every time I've seen him.  I like my Lookout calves and I'd expect the Eagle Eyes to be similar in pattern, though slightly higer performing and more consistant in frame score.  Excellent bull in my opinion.

Where did you get to see Eagle Eye??  As far as frame score, any idea what he is as he matured?  I'm thinking he might be a little bigger than most Conley bulls, which is ok by me.  He looks expressively muscled through his hip and quarter...is he pretty square hipped structure wise?  Kinda looking forward to the few I'll get in Feb!  (clapping)

cwbyup62

Here are three photos of Eagle Eye daughters that were just taken at Travis Pembrook's to be used in advertising for Genex.  I believe these may be the first three pictured, but I am not sure.

Mark

Attachments

• 1 W   www.jpg
    1 W www.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 292
  • 5 W  www.jpg
    5 W www.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 264
  • 15 W    www.jpg
    15 W www.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 307

bluffcountrycattle

WOW!!  Judging by those 3 heifer pictures, maybe I'll be wishing for more than 4 calves out of him!  They are nice!  (clapping)  Have you heard any birthweights on calves to know if he could be used on heifers?  Thanks a bunch for the pics and reply!

cwbyup62

I personally thought these were really good, thought the. 15 heifer was smoking really.  If you want to call Travis, I am sure he can give you more details, these all appeared very complete with a ton of capacity and were not fat, just really deep.  A side note, and there were only three of these, but Travis had only had them in three days and these were pictured on halter in a field beside his show barn, they had never been haltered before he got them in three days before so I would say the attitudes were excellent.

Just my thoughts

Mark

sizzler14

I have seen some awesome breds out of him this past year, and I am planning on buying 10 straws of the sexed heifer from Genex since its so cheap. I was wondering if anyone has used the sexed heifer? Did you have good conception or should I use two straws per breeding? Whats his bws like? hows his daughters milk? we're planning on breeding him to some older cows we want to keep heifers out of, one is an 1600 pound SAF Bullseye daughter and the other in a maine cow that's the cornerstone of out program. any calving reports or coneption reports would be great. Thanks!

bluffcountrycattle

I was told by someone at Genex that the semen quality on Eagle Eye was second to none...and had some of the best conception rates with sexed semen.  For the price, it sure wouldn't hurt to use 2 straws 12 hours apart to assure better conception since you want AI heifer calves.  We used him the first year out, and got 3 really good bulls.  We saved the best and used ourselves as a herd bull (he's on our website), and weaned his first calves this fall.  They did really well, and kept back 3 heifers out of him in the replacement pen.  Birthweights were bigger on Eagle Eye, but they are shaped right for cows with no problems.  Not sure I would use him on heifers.  He will give you more pounds and performance than Lookout, with still a good look.  Maybe not as nice through their shoulder compared to Lookout, but that comes with the extra power and performance.  I think you will benefit from using him in your program and see how they turn out.  Docility is an added bonus too!  Best of luck!

Gargan

bluffcountrycattle said:
I was told by someone at Genex that the semen quality on Eagle Eye was second to none...and had some of the best conception rates with sexed semen.  For the price, it sure wouldn't hurt to use 2 straws 12 hours apart to assure better conception since you want AI heifer calves.  We used him the first year out, and got 3 really good bulls.  We saved the best and used ourselves as a herd bull (he's on our website), and weaned his first calves this fall.  They did really well, and kept back 3 heifers out of him in the replacement pen.  Birthweights were bigger on Eagle Eye, but they are shaped right for cows with no problems.  Not sure I would use him on heifers.  He will give you more pounds and performance than Lookout, with still a good look.  Maybe not as nice through their shoulder compared to Lookout, but that comes with the extra power and performance.  I think you will benefit from using him in your program and see how they turn out.  Docility is an added bonus too!  Best of luck!
How were the disposition on his calves? I've heard they can be a bit rank but that is the only flaw I've heard on his calves.

bluffcountrycattle

Our first hand experience on dispositions is great...very quiet cattle, so not sure who told you differently.  If you believe in the AAA numbers, he is +29 for docility.  That is in the very elite top 2% of the breed for that trait.  I think he improved dispositions on the cows he was bred to at our farm.

Gargan

bluffcountrycattle said:
Our first hand experience on dispositions is great...very quiet cattle, so not sure who told you differently.  If you believe in the AAA numbers, he is +29 for docility.  That is in the very elite top 2% of the breed for that trait.  I think he improved dispositions on the cows he was bred to at our farm.
Good to know, thanks. I never pay much attention to peoples complaints on disposition unless I know how much interaction goes on with the cow herd. Wild and rank cows have nutty calves usually. I've never been around this guys herd that was giving me his experience with the eagle eye calves so thanks for your experience.