BCS sale in Manhattan

Help Support Steer Planet:

kanshow

We went.  Calves went for anywhere from $750 to $3600. (I thought I heard one go for 4000 but couldn't find where I wrote that down).   I think they probably average around 1500... just guessing at that though.   

kanshow

I wondered about that.  We didn't go last year but did go the year before and I thought the prices were the same or just a bit better.   

Steered

BCS are the initials of the three breeders that put on a sale in Manhattan,Ks.  The call the sale the "Breeders Championship Series"  It is a play on "Bowl Championship Series"  The breeders names are Berry, Camerlinck and Schardein.

itk

I grew up 5 minutes from all of those guys so I haven't missed a sale yet. I would have to say this was the best set of calves yet and the sale is steadily improving. It is a great place to pick up a competitive calf for a good price from a great set of people.

Steered

We don't have any kids showing anymore but was wanting to go just to watch, but was unable to make it.  What were the calves that caught your eye itk?

itk

I can't remember tag numbers but Bob had a super stout steer there that I really liked (I think he was the high seller at $3,600). I was also impressed with a few of Rusty's heifers. Like I said before nothing that would go out and win a state fair but a bunch of calves that will turn out really nice with the right management, and they are marketed as so, nothing fancy just good honest cattle. As a shorthorn breeder I was disappointed Bill didn't consign anything but with his recent surgery it is understandable. Bill has been using alot of Elbee's bulls lately and I really like how they are working on his cows especially on the female side of things. Living in the country anybody who lives within 10 minutes of you is a neighbor and I would have to say those 3 breeders are some of the best neighbors we have. 

kanshow

I think that it was a Cowboy Cut steer - I thought he was pretty nice too.    Rusty had a couple Mainetainer heifers that I thought were pretty good.    I'd say the quality overall is better than what I remember from a couple years ago..  it was a pretty good set of cattle overall.