Be Afraid!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Throttle

I read this on Kevin Mears' blog and it really makes you think. The hog business is clear in the tank, with the H1N1 thing being just another nail in a coffin that was already pretty well built. Are we building ours?

If I were a purebred breeder 
Industry News - Friday 7th of August 2009 12:18:19 PM

FROM DROVERS.COM

If I were a purebred breeder
By Max Thornsberry  |  Monday, June 15, 2009

Purebred-cattle breeders should be concerned with their industry’s direction. Southern Missouri supported many swine producers when I graduated from the University of Missouri in 1977. Unbeknownst to me, the swine industry would soon be destroyed by vertical integration. One purebred-Duroc breeder said, “Doc, don’t worry, those corporate guys won’t come out here in the middle of the night to farrow a sow, and they don’t want to straw-bed, castrate or vaccinate hogs. There will always be a place for us purebred breeders, and you will always have a job servicing this segment of the hog industry.”

He was wrong. By 1985 he exited the purebred Duroc business, I exited the swine veterinary business, my swine clients ceased business, and the once numerous feeder-pig auctions were gone from my part of the state.

What destroyed our swine industry in eight years? Simple. The government allowed corporations to capture the hog industry. Executives did not want to castrate, vaccinate or farrow sows, but they found willing sharecroppers to do their labor.

Some producers contracted with these corporations; built state-of-the-art confinement facilities; accepted the corporations’ pigs, feed, medicine and vaccines; and fed the pigs — not for themselves but for the corporation.

The corporations developed their own lines of breeding stock and demanded that producers feed only hogs with their corporate genetics, thus developing another corporate profit center — composite breeds. Specific genetic traits like back fat, loin eye, yield and cutability were licensed to specific composite breeds. Purebred breeders were left with no customers. Corporations further captured the hog market by limiting access to their packing plants, making it difficult to market hogs independently.

When the producers’ facilities became outdated, they were offered new contracts only if their facilities were retrofitted with new equipment. This required new loans and another seven to eight years of connection to the corporation. If efficiencies declined, the contract could be canceled.

With no independent market, hog market reports ceased, and the concept of supply and demand ended. Corporations were uninterested in the price-per-pound of market-ready hogs. They marketed the end product — pork — directly to supermarkets.

Could this happen to registered purebred-cattle breeders? You bet.

Corporations do not want to own land, put up hay, castrate, breed, calve-out heifers or feed cattle at 0° F. They want control over the end product and the market. In 2007, USDA’s Market Reporting Service announced that meatpackers acquired more fed cattle under captive supply arrangements than were purchased by bid or negotiation. This trend continues and fewer fed cattle are sold in a competitive market, which gives corporations control over the cattle market, just as they achieved in the hog market.

As this trend continues, purebred-cattle breeders will be the first to go out of business.

Cattle genetics are being decoded. Just as with the hog industry, corporations will demand specific genetic cattle traits. Genetic diversity is not the goal. Genetic predisposition for tenderness, loin eye, back fat, yield and quality will be required. Composite breeds with these genetics will be developed. Corporations will start by enticing top producers to use their composite breeds.

Corporations will coerce the cattle industry into this genetic trap by discounting prices for cattle that do not conform. Animal identification and source, age and process verification will be required to access export markets. Export markets will be promoted as the salvation for this newly consolidated industry. Cattle producers will have no choice but to comply.

The market will be about yield and tenderness, not quality. Recently, prices for Choice and Select carcasses were identical. Although it costs more to achieve Choice, producer efforts to improve the percentage of Choice carcasses will be for naught.

Corporations will force restaurants to offer “Select beef only” menus and retailers to promote Select beef as superior in nutrition and tenderness.  Less fat, more protein, fewer calories and better health will be promoted. All of these ideals can be achieved through the corporations’ composite genetics.

The trend has started. If I were a purebred-cattle breeder I would be afraid, very afraid.

Max Thornsberry, DVM, MBA, is R-CALF USA president/Region VI director.

knabe

Throttle said:
As this trend continues, purebred-cattle breeders will be the first to go out of business.

Cattle genetics are being decoded. Just as with the hog industry, corporations will demand specific genetic cattle traits. Genetic diversity is not the goal. Genetic predisposition for tenderness, loin eye, back fat, yield and quality will be required. what? not hair? Composite breeds with these genetics will be developed. Corporations will start by enticing top producers to use their composite breeds.

Corporations will coerce the cattle industry into this genetic trap by discounting prices for cattle that do not conform. Animal identification and source, age and process verification will be required to access export markets. Export markets will be promoted as the salvation for this newly consolidated industry. Cattle producers will have no choice but to comply.

The market will be about yield and tenderness, not quality because quality is just rampant now?. Recently, prices for Choice and Select carcasses were identica so? they are fed the same. Although it costs more to achieve Choice, not if they are fed the same and have fat in a different spot, producer efforts to improve the percentage of Choice carcasses will be for naught. if you sell beef as a premium product and people are in a short arm deep pocket or empty pocket mode, why feed choice? it seems to me, the biggest push would be to shorten days on feed and it looks like a huge opportunity there.

Corporations will force restaurants to offer “Select beef only” menus and retailers to promote Select beef as superior in nutrition and tenderness(so?).  Less fat, more protein, fewer calories and better health will be promoted. All of these ideals can be achieved through the corporations’ composite genetics.

The trend has started. If I were a purebred-cattle breeder I would be afraid, very afraid. why shouldn't one  be able to select for cattle that excel on less end of life starch products?  that's where a lot of wasted costs are.  it needs pressure.  not much pressure for direct marketing.  to me, probably the hardest thing to sell is the offal and stuff that isn't meat.

simtal

Throttle said:
Corporations do not want to own land, put up hay, castrate, breed, calve-out heifers or feed cattle at 0° F. They want control over the end product and the market. In 2007, USDA’s Market Reporting Service announced that meatpackers acquired more fed cattle under captive supply arrangements than were purchased by bid or negotiation. This trend continues and fewer fed cattle are sold in a competitive market, which gives corporations control over the cattle market, just as they achieved in the hog market.

As this trend continues, purebred-cattle breeders will be the first to go out of business. Why does this matter to purebred operations? They don't sell at the sale barn.

Cattle genetics are being decoded. Just as with the hog industry, corporations will demand specific genetic cattle traits. Genetic diversity is not the goal. Genetic predisposition for tenderness, loin eye, back fat, yield and quality will be required. Composite breeds with these genetics will be developed. Corporations will start by enticing top producers to use their composite breeds.What's wrong with making better cattle. Genetic diversity, wtf is that?

Corporations will coerce the cattle industry into this genetic trap by discounting prices for cattle that do not conform. Animal identification and source, age and process verification will be required to access export markets. Export markets will be promoted as the salvation for this newly consolidated industry. Cattle producers will have no choice but to comply. Genetic trap? Cattle that don't conform aren't good for the industry!

The market will be about yield and tenderness, not quality. Recently, prices for Choice and Select carcasses were identical. Although it costs more to achieve Choice, producer efforts to improve the percentage of Choice carcasses will be for naught.And corporations did this too?  This guy doesn't understand supply and demand. Ch-se was down because demand was down!

Corporations will force restaurants to offer “Select beef only” menus and retailers to promote Select beef as superior in nutrition and tenderness.  Less fat, more protein, fewer calories and better health will be promoted. All of these ideals can be achieved through the corporations’ composite genetics.

The trend has started. If I were a purebred-cattle breeder I would be afraid, very afraid.
The only thing to be afraid of is your ideas

The only thing that makes me think about this is how dumb is this guy. God forbid we improve our industry to meet consumer demands.

Show Heifer

I guess it would be more crediable if it came from a "reputable source of NCA"????

I do not think he is not saying to accomodate the customer, but to have someone FORCE you to meet THEIR standards (the big corperation)  which in turn they have convinced the consumer that it is THEIR standards (the customer) is the problem.

I guess time will tell. But I do think he has some very solid points.

Telos

.Beef genetics will be decoded...There can never be a full- proof recipe for producing beef cattle like the pork or poultry industry have. Each region of the Country or Countries demand different gnetics that adapt to the environment. Beef production will always be unique in this way.

justintime

I do think we need to realize that major change is coming to our industry. It may not to the extent that this guy is preaching but then again, maybe this is closer than we all think. I would suspect that over 50% of the cattle on feed in the US and Canada are corporate owned now, with the large corporate packers having the largest share of these. I find it interesting that this topic has been brought up here on SP, because just a few days ago, a friend of mine, from Ontario, phoned me and asked me what I am hearing in Western Canada about the future of the beef industry. I told him, I had not heard anything specific, however, I half jokingly said that the packers were sure trying to put us out of business, as the beef prices in the meat counter have never been higher and yet the prices paid to the producer are simply just not good enough.

I asked my friend why he asked this question, and he said that he had attended a beef producers meeting recently, and a speaker there from the Ontario Cattleman's Association told the audience that there was little to no future for the cow- calf producer in Ontario. His reasoning was that the large corporations had taken control of the packing industry, and now they had taken control of the feeding industry. His claim was that 80+ % of all the cattle fed and processed in Ontario were owned by two corporations. There has been a two tier price system established at the packers, so that cattle owned  by the small producer of feedlot , are highly discounted, while the cattle owned by the packer, go through at much higher prices, thus making more profit for the packer, on the backs of the farmer/ feedlot producer.

My friend also said that this speaker urged cattle producers to not go ahead with major expansion of any kind at this time, as the future is so uncertain. He said that everyone at the meeting left with very long faces. My friend is in the process of planning completely new facilities, and now he wonders if he should even bother.

Here in Saskatchewan, the hog industry has almost completely collapsed. About 10 years ago, there was a major expansion of massive hog operations, and now most sit in bankrupcy or very terrible financial condition. It is interesting to see our government who just a few years ago, assisted all these producers to build these huge facilities are now assisting them financially to exit the industry. Typical government intelligence. These are changing times...in all agriculture.

knabe

knabe

simtal said:
I have been told that the top two hundred feedlots produce 80% of the fed cattle in this country

i have been told that before the cattle go to the feedlot, a lot of people have cattle.

i have been told that a lot of people raise marginal cattle and a few industrious cattle buyers package these lower end cattle into a viable product which are fed at some of these feedlots.  one guy that did this a lot was phil stadtler.  he's got a biography out which is pretty good.  a good friend also does this and he feeds liquid whey and hay.

Dusty

I can see the packer owning cattle.  I don't think they want to own the feedyards however.  I really don't think they want to own the cow.  Frankly I have no problem with the packer owning cattle in a feedlot.  Its a business decision for them if thats what they want to do. 

I don't think you will see the level of consolidation in the beef industry like we have saw in Dairy, Swine and chicken.  Mainly because cow-calf operations are hard to manage in a confined setting.  Cattle always do better on a open range/pasture enviroment.  Tyson doesn't want to own a bunch of cows spread out across the country. 

The cow-calf guy won't go away as long as he is raising the kind of cattle that the consumer wants.  Because ultimately the packer wants the kind of cattle that the consumer wants. 

I think the small cattle feeder (2000 hd -less) will eventually go away, but i think the cow-calf man has a future.

SouthWest

Knabe, I agree on Phil Stadtler's book.  Incredible how times have changed.  I have bought and fed some of his cattle.  Well, my first profits was feeding a couple hundred of his cattle.  Currently, I can no longer think of feeding any of his cattle.  In order to participate in a large packer value added programs, I cannot knife cut at my yard.  At my yard!  Not just participating cattle, 100% of animals at my yard wether in the program or not cannot be knife cut.  No animals can have thier horns tipped.  A customer that wants to feed bull calves with horns cannot come feed his calves here as the packer has predetermined for me.  Also on a different note, you notice the bill in California banning the docking of tails has pass the full state senate.

SWMO

Southwest, are these mandates from the packer in response to the pressure put on them by PETA and the Humane Society or from the state legislature in response to pressure from these individuals?

SouthWest

SWMO, that is what their customers have ask for from the packers.  At least thats what they tell us.  I beleive they have promised too much with out consulting with the beef producers.  What I mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg.  I cannot have an electric prod on the premise either.  On my animal handling, they measure how many times animals back up and how many times they hear a bellar(a moo).  I can keep going.  If some of you are members of your state cattlemen association, I recomend you read your states BQA line by line.  There is some things that I don't even agree with in there too.  Even though the author is a member of R-Calf, he does bring up a good point that I am currently experiencing.

colosteers

I don't believe this is just stories.

I live in an area that is feedlot country,  the small and private owned lots are going empty, out of business, or closed.  There is a 65,000 head capacity feedlot that has 12,000 head -- and lots of rumors going around about its future.

The only lots that have cattle,  are the Five River lots, that are owned by the packer JBS, been told they are full and over flowing.

Don't know if this is temporary, or more to come.  Just know that if the packers are the only ones left to buy my feeder calves, there wont be much of a future owning a cow.

Have a good one

rancher_1978

I think the fact he is with R-Calf should show how much this guy really knows!!!! Vertical integration of the cattle business wont happen because of the length of time from calving to harvest and the input costs of raising heifers to breeding age!! period

colosteers

Rancher,  I think that r-calf can be really narrow minded and blind of the big picture.

But if the packers can own enough of the cattle to cover their contracts, and can take or leave the private owned fat cattle---  they will not keep the feedlots in business.

Then when you and I try to sell our feeder calves, the  packer owned lots will be the only buyers---  naming their price. 

Packers probably dont want to own or calve heifers as long as they have us to do it,  but will they keep us in business?

anyhow- just my thoughts

Have a good one

Beach Limousin

If you look at why the pork and chicken industry went to a vertically intergrated system, it was to make a more consistent and cheaper product. The consumer wants consistency. The difference in the cattle market is the fact that cattle eat grass, there is grass everywhere. You can put a chicken and a hog in a small pen, raise them out and do fine. You cant do that with cattle, and corporations don't want to own large sections of land, its expensive. Nevertheless, there are changes coming to the beef industry. If we want to stay a profitable industry, we haft to keep moving forward with changes that make the process more efficient and more consistent. In the future there will probably be less salebarns, but there used to be tobacco sales, corn sale, etc. Cattle will become a contract industry just like the others in agriculture. So why should a Purebred breeder be concerned? The purebred breeders role will be more than just selling there cattle, but assisting the commercial customers get there calves marked to there fullest potential. They will also haft to be more concerned with carcass traits, but when we look at the successful purebred operations are they not already doing these very things? So yes change has started, but I don't see why we need to be concerned, but rather become involved.

My Opinion,
Cody