Bear Classic

Help Support Steer Planet:

steerdad11

Does anyone have any info on the show yesterday?Who won steers and heifers,how many showed up ,etc.Thanks

SWMO

I would imagine that not very many people showed up.  The organizers of the event made a very poor choice when they changed the dates on their show.  Pinaguer's Limmy sale was that day, the McDonald County FFA Contest was that day AND THE WEATHER SUCKED.  They do not have the barn for bad weather. 

The MO AGR is also facing touch competition next weekend.  By changing their dates they are they same weekend as the Arkansas Hillbilly Classic, District FFA contests and several purebred sales.  The kids cannot go to everything and choices have to be made.

coachmac

Yes next week is the block and bridle, as well as many other things.

It is hard to schedule things this time of year.  Everything kindof piles up on top of one another and you just have to make the choice to go to what suits you the best.  We were at the Bear and ..... the weather was not that enjoyable.  The Barns there aren't that bad though.  The stall barn is open sided but it was dry under there.  There really wasnt a need for fans though so .... that was good.  Actually freed up some juice for an extra blower or two to work. 

Results of the heifer show..... Grand Heifer - Angus by Wallace  Reserve - 3/4 simmi that came out of the purebred class. 

did anyone end up going to the four ring two day show in Fayetteville, AR this weekend?  Wondering what the results were of that show and how turn-out was with the weather.  Thought about driving down to watch today...... then thought twice!!! 

rookie

SWMO said:
I would imagine that not very many people showed up.  The organizers of the event made a very poor choice when they changed the dates on their show.  Pinaguer's Limmy sale was that day, the McDonald County FFA Contest was that day AND THE WEATHER SUCKED.  They do not have the barn for bad weather. 

The MO AGR is also facing touch competition next weekend.  By changing their dates they are they same weekend as the Arkansas Hillbilly Classic, District FFA contests and several purebred sales.  The kids cannot go to everything and choices have to be made.

SWMO you are correct choices must be made and the choice was to have the show March 20! The show had been done in may and had horrible turn outs. April was all locked up with other shows. When i comes down to it, the people who are serious about showing SHOWED, the others didn't. Considering the weather was bad, the turn out was very good. Choices have to made and the MSU club choose that day!

SWMO

I misspoke, yes it is the MU Block and Bridle my apologies.

No Rookie you do not have many good choices for dates and absolutely do not have control over the weather.  We were more concerned with saving baby calves in the worst weather that we have had this winter than with showing on that particular day.  The weather certainly was beyond your control.  When you have rain then blowing and drifting snow and then rain again on Sunday and are calving it does not make for a very positive person.  My apologies.

what happened to the first weekend in April?  Isn't that the weekend that you usually have it?

coachmac

SWMO - I was wondering if you are going to be able to make it to the Hillbilly?  Maybe Sunday!  A friend of ours has dist. FFA Sat but is going to come down Sunday! 

Rookie - Would you be able to tell me the names of the judges at the Bear? 

rookie

SWMO, we thought March 20 was better than the first weekend it April... Would you rather come two weeks ealier or come on Easter weeekend?

Coachmac, the judge of our show was Kipp Williams from GA, i'm not sure the name of the other guy.. he was from OK i think

CMSC

Here are the results from the Bear Classic
Heifers:

1st Overall---Paige Wallace, Angus
2nd Overall--Adriene Aubuchon, Simmental
3rd Overall---Brianne Abramovitz, Hereford
4th Overall---Sam Wallace, Angus
5th Overall--Grace Riley, Mainetainer
Steers:
1st Overall--Callie Mawson, Crossbred
2nd Overall---Callie Mawson, Maine
3rd Overall---Grace Riley, Res. Crossbred