Beef Industry Project, Opinion Please!

Help Support Steer Planet:

american honey

So for my ag class I have this awesome project!!! I get to start my own beef entreprenurship! And I love cattle and know a little but I have no idea how I would run my farm ect. So i wanted to ask for you opinions!

What Breed of cattle is best?
What traits would I look for when selecting my cattle ( i know like genetics breeding purposes ect..)
Runing and operation, what type operation would work best?
Market my cattle and who consumer will be?
Other info I should know!

Thanks so much for your input!!

Okotoks

I take it the proposed herd would be based in your area? If so contact some of the larger commercial or purebred producers in your area and interview them. That should give lots of info for your own scenario.

vc

Jody, asking for ideas is onething asking for all the answers is another,if she takes the opinions she gets here, does research to make her final decision she basically bounced ideas off of people to get some impute. As you stated high school if she bounced these ideas off of her peers she may not ever see any thing bounced back, may not be anyone with her same interest at school.
Using the tools you have at hand to simplify your task, nothing wrong with that, as long as she is the one who creates the finished product.

AH, I think that you must first look at the land you have for your operation prior to deciding what your operation will be.

farmboy

american honey said:
So for my ag class I have this awesome project!!! I get to start my own beef entreprenurship! And I love cattle and know a little but I have no idea how I would run my farm ect. So i wanted to ask for you opinions!

What Breed of cattle is best?
What traits would I look for when selecting my cattle ( i know like genetics breeding purposes ect..)
Runing and operation, what type operation would work best?
Market my cattle and who consumer will be?
Other info I should know!

Thanks so much for your input!!

What breed is best? where are you located, what are your goals?

your being to general for anybody to really weigh in.

farmin female

The first question I have to ask is, "how much money do you have?" 

If you're playing with monopoly money (not the bull) it's all for fun, but money is always the first concern.  It drives the decision making.

CANsteer

I would include a spread sheet with lists of costs and income as well as profits. I use one for my steers with price of calf, entry fees, feed, bedding, etc.

american honey

Exactly! But I really think it would be awesome to have a set budget, but yes we have no limit. I have decided I would like to start my operation off with Limousin cattle, I have always been intrested in them. And it doesnt matter where I have it. In Indiana, we have a few feedlot operations. But I want to expand my horizion and I want to go out west so where out west is best for cattle production? I like the spread sheet idea. Today in ag they talked about cow-calf operation and I am curious how many of you use that sort of production. Another point in land is I need to find a place great for foliage or to grow crops to limit some cost. THANKS EVERYONE!