beef prices

Help Support Steer Planet:

Diamond

Whats the price of beef going for in everyones area? I was told by a local dealer that prices have bottomed and 1200# steers are bringing little more then $600 a head. Will it get any better as the year moves on or whats everyones thoughts on this?

oakbar

USDA  five market report for July said the average was 82.88/cwt.  I think August has been a little under that.  In July a 1200 pound animal would be worth $994.56 without premiums or discounts.  The website mentioned above is a good one for this information!!

mooch

Diamond said:
Whats the price of beef going for in everyones area? I was told by a local dealer that prices have bottomed and 1200# steers are bringing little more then $600 a head. Will it get any better as the year moves on or whats everyones thoughts on this?

Checked an Iowa fat cattle auction site for August 19 (last Wed.)Select & Choice:82.00-83.00
Select Strs:78.00-82.00
So at mid to lower range that is 1200 x .80 = $960 quite a bit more than $600.

knabe

seems like cattle are back at "historical" prices not accounting for inflation before the run up to $1 and above.  how many futures at a higher price than 0.82 are not finished yet or is there a way to determine this.  the context is that when futures over guessed the price, will the market stay depressed till spot meets futures or is there some other factors related to futures going on?

ROMAX

knabe said:
seems like cattle are back at "historical" prices not accounting for inflation before the run up to $1 and above.  how many futures at a higher price than 0.82 are not finished yet or is there a way to determine this.  the context is that when futures over guessed the price, will the market stay depressed till spot meets futures or is there some other factors related to futures going on?
Was that when they found BSE in Canada and shut down the border for all cattle live or dead in 2003

yousesteers

Cattle were between 70 and 80 cwt on the hoof the Hog markets are kinda dragging the cattle down and we can blame part of that on the media for not calling H1N1 what it is and that is human flu strain is not even in swine It will comeback it always has

knabe

yousesteers said:
we can blame part of that on the media for not calling H1N1 what it is and that is human flu strain is not even in swine

factually incorrect.

"Influenza A(H1N1) virus is a subtype of influenzavirus A and the most common cause of influenza (flu) in humans. Some strains of H1N1 are endemic in humans and cause a small fraction of all influenza-like illness and a large fraction of all seasonal influenza. H1N1 strains caused roughly half of all human flu infections in 2006.[1] Other strains of H1N1 are endemic in pigs (swine influenza) and in birds (avian influenza).
In June 2009, World Health Organization declared that flu due to a new strain of swine-origin H1N1 was responsible for the 2009 flu pandemic. This strain is commonly called "swine flu" by the public media.

This new strain appears to be a result of reassortment of human influenza and swine influenza viruses, in all four different strains of subtype H1N1.  While viruses with this genetic makeup had not previously been found to be circulating in humans or pigs, there is no formal national surveillance system to determine what viruses are circulating in pigs in the U.S. "

really, it doesn't matter.  the problem is not the media, but the listener and the educational system and the decaying intelligence of the public.  if the public is that swayed, imagine who we could nominate for president (yes, bush, gore, mccain and obama).  

thataaronkid

At our county fair 2 weeks ago the average price was about $5 a pound for a 1300 pound steer. I myself got $13 a pound but i had the grand champion this year.

For people posting like .74 a pound where are you located?

thataaronkid

Shady Lane said:
$13 a pound for Champion Steer at a County Fair?

(thumbsup)

I'm moving to your County!
haha last year i actually had grand champion too and i got $11 a pound.

Dang, i always thought that was somewhat low for a grand champion since looking back in the history books for our fair, the grand champion steer would get to upwards $30 a pound!

farmboy

thataaronkid said:
At our county fair 2 weeks ago the average price was about $5 a pound for a 1300 pound steer. I myself got $13 a pound but i had the grand champion this year.

For people posting like .74 a pound where are you located?

thats what the slaughterhouse pays, not the actual premium