Beef Production for Dummies

Help Support Steer Planet:

okshowmom

I have some very basic production questions, please don't laugh at them!! I live in northern oklahoma so like ev3eryone else grass is pretty much gone. we have bluestem and johnson. for 30 head of cows over the winter how much hay per pund per cow and the same for feed. I have some open some nursing some pregnant( not my choice there). Whenn do wean by age or weignt? How much feed for the weaned calves, Basic vacinations for calves and cows and what age. Whew that is a lot. Thank you for your patience with me! :)

lightnin4

On average, a cow needs to eat 2-3% of her bodyweight per day.  I recommend having your hay tested.  Your extension agent can probably do this for you.  They will then have recommendations as to what and/or how much feed to supplement to meet the cows' daily requirements.  In general, most people wean around 6 months old.  The decision of when to wean can be affected by the weight of the calf, the body condition of the cow, feed resources available, etc.  Vaccinate cows yearly prior to breeding (consult your vet for appropriate vaccines for your area).  Ideally vaccinate calves twice--once around a month or so prior to weaning or at weaning and then a booster 30 days later.  Its a good idea to establish a good relationship with your vet (even if it's just consultation at first) in case you have problems later on.

creativecattle

If you are just getting into cattle something you might want to consider attending is the Texas A&M Beef Cattle Short Course. This year's program just finished up. There is a ton of useful information that is discussed and is a great workshop for both beginners and those with more experience. Good luck.