Beet Pulp Shortage

Help Support Steer Planet:

NHR

Is everybody experiencing a shortage of Beet Pulp? If so what are you using in its place?

NHR

Full Tank uses beet pulp. Is full tank still available?

renegade

Im not sure where you are located but you may contact a sugar beet factory - if there is one near you. I know the one down the road from us sells it by the truck load

klintdog

One place here in town said that they can't get any in until beet harvest this fall. The other place in town has been ordering it in from California by the semi-load, so they always have it in stock. It's not the typical molasses covered shreds though. These are some bigger chunks with no sweetener added to them. The pieces are so big that they can almost look like wood chips when you get water in them.

renegade

hey no fair we never get molasses on our beet pulp - i have gotten it in the bag too.  We wet ours down because in the bag it only comes in pellets around here.

mainegirl

I can't get beet pulp at all. So I am starting to use full tank. My calves actually seem to eat it a little better than beet pulp anyway.

ATOZ

I believe Sun Glo makes it and you use a third as much as beet pulp. Correct me if I'm wrong.

kanshow

The website is  www.sunglofeeds.com    Full Tank is far more palatable than beet pulp.  You don't have to do anything - soak, molasses, etc.  It comes in a pellet.   

BCCC

ATOZ said:
I believe Sun Glo makes it and you use a third as much as beet pulp. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes you are correct you only have to use 1/3 as much inorder to be equivelent to beet pulp

Jill

We have been having trouble getting beet pulp for most of the past year.  Full Tank is a good replacement and comes out a little cheaper if fed at 1/3 the rate. the last bag I bought were 20 a bag.

klintdog

Looking at the Full Tank website, it is pretty vague on exactly how much to feed to an animal. Right now beet pulp makes up 13% of our feed ration, how much Full Tank would I have to feed to make that equal, and would I be able to keep my level of show mix the same?

kanshow

They suggest anywhere from 1 to 6 pounds/day.  A lot will depend on why you are feeding it, the size of the calf, etc. 

If beet pulp is 13% of the ration, how does that figure in pounds?  Then adjust from there.  With Full Tank, start with way less than you think you'll need because it does work a bit different than straight beet pulp. 

Jill

We top dress and use a feed scoop like Valley Vet sells 3/4 full morning and night.  If you are putting it into your feed, you would need someone to figure that for you becuase it will change the rest of your ingredience also to get the same amount of feed.

kanshow

Good point, Jill.  It should be fed as a topdress because you may need to make adjustments in the amount.    You can always add more but you sure can't take it out if it is in a complete ration.

SWMO

The only beet pulp we can get right now is the kind w/o molasses and our calves don't like it.  The last bag we got smelled like a dead mouse.  haven't found the mouse yet though. :mad:

We are going to try Winning Fill as there is a dealer closer to us than there is a dealer for Full Tank.