Beet Pulp vs Beet Pulp pellets

Help Support Steer Planet:

ATOZ

Is there a difference between the two? Also can beet pulp make them have too much chest or blow shoulders out?

hevmando

Our experience has been the pellets are cheaper, less bulky vs the shreds.  However, the extruding/pelleting/or crumbling process to produce the pellets generates heat and the sugar gets burnt during this process due to the heat and our calves do not consume as much vs. the shreds.  You can smell the burnt sugar of the pellets.  Would not say it causes structural problems/issues for us.  Many breeding heifer people I talk to swear by it, so would not think it is an issue.

shortyjock89

Having cattle on Beet Pulp for an extended amount of time can make them appear "stale" and reduce the amount of bloom they show.  i would recommend depth charge and cottonseed hulls to cut the beet pulp with.

Sambosu

A new product/item we have added to our custom mix is working great on adding volume to our calves and they love to eat it, purina's pre-con.  It is a cube high in fiber. Our calves love it and if you want extra fill on your calf at the show because they wont eat, feed them straight pre-con.  We tried this because our feed store's purina rep mentioned it instead of depth charge.  It shocked us that he would recommend something else other than depth charge to add volume to a calf.  Something to think about.  Also, another thing I like about it is it is a complete feed, so your not sacrificing your daily gain by feeding them just a filler.

paj315

We have tried it all. Beet pulp shreds, depth charge, and a product called Full and Fresh. Personally we like Full and Fresh better than the Purina Depth Charge seems to put more guts in our show cattle. You can buy it at Rural King stores and it usually on sale for around $9 for a 40 pound bag. Never had any problems feeding any of these though and we keep our calves on it from start to finish.