Beet Pulp

Help Support Steer Planet:

fordkindagirl

Heard about beet pulp (good things) so went and bought a bag to supplement with. I heard you should wet it first (?) Have you guys had any luck supplementing with it? How much do you recommend I feed? Opinions on it?

coachmac

We use it for fill in our heifers and for added roughage.  You can soak it, personally we feed it dry.  Saves time.  We measure feed by the scoop and it depends on the heifer how much pulp we give them.  For our heifers this year it has been somewhere between 3/4 scoop to 1.5 scoops.  We had a heifer that got real loose in her stool and we were having a hard time getting it solid.  Ended up giving her pulp and cottonseed hulls with all the muda hay she could eat.  Worked after a day and a half.  We really like the pulp and it has worked for us pretty well, but I know there are quite a few products that do as good or better.  For us it is also easier to find for sale. 

linnettejane

use it all the time and feed it dry here also...i usually feed it as 1/4 beet bulp, 1/2 fitter's edge, 1/4 cheap 12% calf feed...then when we go to shows ill drop off the 1/4 12% and add another 1/4 beet pulp...so its usually 1/2 beet pulp, 1/2 fitters edge @ shows...the beet pulps helps with the runs also if they get them...

rbruce

We feed it to everything in the barn. It works great and seems to help out on keeping bellies right. Not as much issue once we started feeding it. Thank God our local feed store handles it now.

Davis Shorthorns

I use about 1 lb dry and then add some water to it to feed it.  It hase worked for me very well on the cattle that I have used it on.

kobo_ranch

Ok question... we fed it last year after we got the heifer and the steers almost there.  (holding them) But is there any reason to feed it prior to that? 

SlickTxMaine

It seems to be a personal preference thing.  The breeder we have used the past two years  ???was real big on BP, had us feed it from start to finish.  We bought from a different breeder this year, and he does not feed it at all.  He uses cotton seed hulls instead.