Before and After. Opinions please

Help Support Steer Planet:

TottenClubCalves

Ok well awhile back about 6 7 months ago I posted that I was gettingheavy back into fitting and clipping again and I was trying to shake off the rust lol. I got this steer in last week and he has just been sold. many of you probably have seen him on the classified page. I just thought I would show you a before and after picture and let you guys judge how I'm coming along lol.
Btw I will be at Illinois, kentucky, and Tenn Beef expo so if any steer planeteers are gonna be there I would love to meet you all!

If there is one thing I have Always prided myself on is that I have been told I have a good eye and can "see" through the hair and tell that there is a good calve underneath all that hair. Watcha think?

BEFORE

100_0254.jpg

AFTER

dadscamera058-1.jpg

Show Steaks

WOW  (thumbsup)  (clapping)  great job. would never have guessed they were the same calf.

The key spots that really change the apperance of a calf after being clipped are the head, neck, and tail head IMO. and you defiantly covered those

justintime

learning to clip is much like learning to weld, in that you will be better with practice and experience. Looks to me like you did a very good job. I used to be pretty good at clipping but I have not done much myself for a few years. I was amazed at how rusty I was when I had to clip out some calves this winter.

TottenClubCalves

I know how you feel about shaking of the rust! lol It took me a couple months to really feel comfortable and to start blending really well again but after that it was pretty good. I have to say that 2010 is off to a good start. A grand and reserve division at Denver, Grand heifer and bull at Florida state fair and alot of class winners so far for my clients so I'm all smiles lol.

OH Breeder

Good example of having a good eye. Underneath all that hair was a really nice calf. Great job!

TottenClubCalves

Thank you so much for the compliments, I really do love to clip and have finally gotten the opportunities to clip at major shows and have been making the best of my opportunities. If you know anyone who is looking for a fitter or clipper I travel all over the U.S and my rates are very reasonable. I just got pictures from the hsow this past weekend and have attached a couple photos to show my fitting abilities as well

20133_1357043009862_1345082452_1386.jpg

20133_1357043689879_1345082452_1386.jpg

Hilltop

Great job!!!! I see under your profile that you say "clipping isn't an obession its a passion"    I hear ya!! I just started clipping a couple of yrs. ago I tried getting my husband to show me because I KNOW that he can clip but he wouldn"t.......... and when he did give me some advice it was in the wrong tone of voice!!!!!!!!!!! I just watched guys at different shows....jackpots and CWA and I did get the Kirk Stierwalt videos...I am a hairstylist . but I don't think that gives me any extra knowledge with clipping the animals........actually it is totally different..... 1st -I don't have to put my (people) clients in a trimming chute and 2nd- I hope that I don't ever have to clean up after my (people) client  with a shovel and water hose.!!!!!!!  I find it totally relaxing to be out in the barn transforming these animals.....I go out in the mornin' after the bus  leaves the yard and come in when the bus pulls up when schools out!!!  I have to get more animals halter broke here  'cause everything that is  is pretty much clipped up!!!!!!  I've had our  daughter out at the barn to get started with her hands on the clipper, she's 11, and I hope that I don't have the wrong tone of voice whern I'm trying tp help her..............I enjoy it soo much..... some think I'm crazy but I'm sure you understand..... I've had people ask me if I would be interested in getting cattle ready for them for next yrs. CWA!!!!!!!!!!  So they must think that I do a good job  !!!! love it!    ------- Momma Hilltop--------- :) :)

BABYTEX

Trotten Club Calves - Do you ever get in the Minnesota area.  This is my daughter sign on but we are a little new to showing we are only been doing this a few years but have really gotten into it.  We have a very fancy Sun Seeker Chrome Heifer for my daughter this year and my other daughter so far has a Texas Hold'Em (Habegers) steer but we are hoping for a Dirty Haiy, Lookout, or Final Answer prospect or cow calf pair.  Do you ever get to Minnesota?  We could sure use some assistance fitting and clipping the heifer.  My daughter is starting to learn the ropes but could sure use some help and could use some pointers for the steer as well. I really dont like him as he is very long legged and not deep enough and like some pointers.

BA Maines

Momma Hilltop,  I totally know where your are coming from.  I could spend all day in the barn working with our cattle.  My husband thinks I am one of a kind.  He jokes to his buddies about my hobby.  All of their wives knit and sew for a hobby.  Mine in cattle.

Telos

Really nice job. Quality work is always in demand and marketing yourself on SP is a great idea. I'm curious how that heifer is bred? She looks pretty nice.

TottenClubCalves

I will be on the road the next couple days but if any of you would like to call me and set up something or have questions please feel free to call. my number is 386 747 6145 Thank you agin for all the compliments

Robert Totten

shortyjock89

FutureBreeder said:
Id love to learn how to clip/fit.

Whats the best way to go about it?

Getting out and doing it.

Ole Bobby will be in IL this next week with me, and if anyone at IL Beef Expo needs work done, we can both run a set of clippers.

herefordfootball

You're doing darn good. A before and after pic is your best way to compare your work and how you improve the calves. You're doing some good work there.  <beer>

TottenClubCalves

Telos said:
Really nice job. Quality work is always in demand and marketing yourself on SP is a great idea. I'm curious how that heifer is bred? She looks pretty nice.

This is the eye candy heifer that kentucky man sold on here about a 2 months ago. I got ahold of her for a friend and she's been really doing well down here. She's 9 months old and that photo was from last weekend.

CAB

What's on the bottom side of the the Eye Candy heifer? She looks like a calf that Riek & Lentz raised out of a Jose cow. Thanks, Brent