Nope think hairier than a Highland  :eek:

Elvis Presley?
ZZ Tops
Yak? a Jersey Yak cross? is that a Jack or a Yersey
Water Buffalo?
Bob Marley

OK I am going with the Yak.....

genes

DL wins for her correct answer of Yak....can't say I know what breed it was crossed with though I don't think it was Jersey.  This is the link that I got the picture from http://www.cattleyakranch.com/index.html

Can you believe that my Dad actually considered letting me try this in high school ?  ;D  Semex sells the semen (full yak...the hybrid bulls are sterile but the females quite fertile)

Anyway, for DL's prize she receives the fine artwork below....
[size=10pt]
WOW!! YAK WITH A YOYO - HARD FOR THE BEEFPACAS TO BEAT THAT!! THANKS GENES! Nice present!
[/size]

Attachments

• alpha-y.gif
    alpha-y.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 295

red

Ok Genes, I have a coloration for you. Direct Hit cow- 3/4 Maine (red & white) bull out of a sugar Ray son (black)
Calf= deer brown. maybe smokey brown. weirdest color I've seen on a calf.
Give us your thoughts!
Red

genes

I think it's that same "wild type" allele we were talking about with someone else's calf.  Pops up here and there (and kinda ugly in my opinion unfortunately).

From Sheila Schmutz's page:

"However E+ appears to act as a "neutral" allele in most breeds and we think ED /E+ cattle are typically black and E+/e cattle are typically red. E+/E+ cattle can be almost any color since other genes,such as the Agouti gene, take over in dictating what pigments are produced. "

So basically, there are three alleles that you can get at the gene.  In most beef breeds, I think the plain old red and black are the most common (Breeds like Brown Swiss and Jersey would be where wild type predominates).  So if the bull and cow both have and pass on this neutral allele, then you can get these weird colours.  Like brindle, and brown.  Think of it as recessive like TH, but with two differnt things that can be dominant over it, either red or black.

red

(lol)

wait till I tell the nephew his calf has some Jersey in it! Oh my, as bad as he gives it to me, this will be fun!

Red

Gypsy

Hey Red, this isn't a scientific answer but maybe your nephew will like it better.  I had a E.T. calf (well not me, but....) out of Habenero's dam and Black Dice, nice heifer but just the same color you are describing, weird looking, and she was really hairy.  She was born in August and looked that way all winter but in the spring when she shed off she was black.  Never turned brown again.

genes

red said:
(lol)

wait till I tell the nephew his calf has some Jersey in it! Oh my, as bad as he gives it to me, this will be fun!

Red

Hehehe...you guys always want to blame the dairy bull  :D  I've heard of mire Brown Swiss in beef crosses though, to be fair to the Jersey.....your brindle cows are good suspects.  But I just said that the "neutral" allele wasn't very common in the beef animals, not that it doesn't exist.  No need to scare your nephew too much.  Though I did show a 1/4 Jersey heifer once (sheepishly just admitting it now 5 years later ;)) and actually did really well with her.  She was super feminen.

red

Love to scare the nephew. He just gave me that "look" when I suggested it to him. Sort of running joke since I used to show Jersey's.
Also while I was up at the farm, hubby took a bath in 28% starter fertilizer. AGH! and they wonder why I worry about them using NH3 (82%)!!!!

more grey hairs!
Red

Latest posts