Believe In Me, Hired Man, Hard Whiskey, I80, unstoppable

Help Support Steer Planet:

TSCattleCo

We are quite new to cattle and currently have Murray Greys, but we also have one Shorthorn Cow that needs bred. She's a roan, and I'm hoping to get a clubby blue roan out of her. She's fairly tall with long legs but has a massive, well sprung body and a pretty clean front end.

By the way, she has a poor udder. It will probably last as long as it needs to but it's not pretty to look at.

I was hoping I could get some feedback as to which bull would be the best match for her, as I'm hoping to get something shorter and/or smaller framed, and more clubby but still extra sound. I need a bull that has a dam with a good udder to hopefully pass that on if the calf is a heifer.

Not too concerned about temperament, just structure.

I'm leaning toward BIM but I'm not sure how well any of these would cross with a SH cow. Anybody who has crossed any of these with SH's I would really appreciate a response. :) thanks!

The photo attached is the cow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 237

RasorFarms

We're breeding our boss's small herd of horns half to I-80 and half to Select Sire's Capiche.
They will be on their second calves this time which is why we chose I-80, for the low birth weights. Hoping to get some flashy ones come spring!

I'm not saying don't breed with the other sires, this is just what we're breeding, good luck! :)

shortybreeder

I'm not experinsed enough personally to comment on the sires, but before people get misled I wanted to point out on the above post that a "maternal milk epd" has nothing to do with udder quality, just with how well a beef cow is expected to milk. We have a commercial cow that raises 2 calves every year to at least 500 lbs each (or this year we let her raise a solo ET calf to an 850lb 205 day) and she has by far the worst udder on the farm. With her weaning ratios she would have a very high Milk EPD, but still has a terrible looking udder.
Just my 2 cents.

sizzler14

I have  never been a fan of Hired Man. I think if your wanting steers BIM or unstoppable is the way to go assuming the cow is TH Free. If your wanting to keep it if its a heifer, I would probably rule those to out for their maternal side. Using I-80, I think you could get a cool heifer, but I would fear that the steer could lack some power. Out of the ones listed, thats who I would use to make a heifer. Some other suggestions I would say would be Crimson Tide or Rum Chutta

Spencer10218

What about renegade blues? I have always like his look espicially with the roan but how are his heifers, I imagine his steers arnt near as powerful as a monopoly or believe in me an would the red roan on blue roan throw a blue roan calf?
And sorry for not adding on your bulls you listed.

shortybreeder

A red roan on a blue roan could produce: a red roan, a blue roan, a black calf, or a white calf acording to basic mendelian laws, but obviously roans are a bit funky, so there would be varying amounts of white on the calves.

RasorFarms

I was misinformed in my information, I apologize.  I have removed that portion of my comment to prevent further "misleading".

Diamond

Ill be honest here, and we run a vary diverse herd of cattle (Maines, Simmentals, Shorthorns, Murray Grays, and a a few Angus in the mix) It takes a real good cow to produce a club calf worth anything. They are terminal, not a single one of those bulls will really improve udder quality on her, for that you need to look for a maternal base bull. Stick with Angus, Murray, or some Simmental's will work.

as far as your choices go, if your set on one of those bulls.

use I-80 on her if your looking for heifers best suited to keeping, she will contribute overall depth and he will provide her with a cleaner front end. If she threw a bull calf, he probably would lack on power.

BIM are seriously hit or miss, hes a bull you love to hate, and hate to love. setting the temperament aside some of them even out of big frame cows are absolute puds, however if you hit the right combo its super tough to get around a good BIM.

Hired Man, are just a fail, hate the shoulders on them things and seems more often then not they have some kind of soundness issue.

Hard Whiskey cant make an opinion on this guy, haven't seen enough of his calves in person

unstoppable is probably the best rounded of the bulls you listed. good heifers, good steers. hes one to watch size on but, I highly doubt you would get one with no grow out of her using him.

HomeRaised

This is a BIM x JPJ steer we raised. He was reserve shorthorn plus at Lima, Ohio this year.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 248

Tallcool1

I agree with Diamond, the safest bet of those bulls would be Unstoppable.  They are sound, good feeding, good attitude, and about as predictable for soundness as any club calf bull out there. 

To me, the Unstoppable calves fall into that category of "there isn't really anything wrong with them" rather than the category of just knocking your eyes out with coolness. 

Interesting post.