belt buckle

Help Support Steer Planet:

simbman

As an Ag teacher this is as close to an off-season as I get, so I usually let my kids with cattle go it alone during the summer.  I did want to go to the belt buckle to support some of my younger kids, and check out some of the new cattle.  Wow, was I surprised at what I saw.  I have never seen that few head of cattle at that show ever.  What is the problem?  The cost, heat, diesel, or the people in charge? If all their events are decreasing like this the TJLA is in real trouble.

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

hit_nail_on_head.jpg
Mmmmm+Popcorn+popcorn_dab5f2_466828.gif

The Show

simbman said:
As an Ag teacher this is as close to an off-season as I get, so I usually let my kids with cattle go it alone during the summer.  I did want to go to the belt buckle to support some of my younger kids, and check out some of the new cattle.  Wow, was I surprised at what I saw.  I have never seen that few head of cattle at that show ever.  What is the problem? The cost, heat, diesel, or the people in charge? If all their events are decreasing like this the TJLA is in real trouble.
All of the above

fed_champions

I think its mainly the politics involved with the people in charge, alot of the big name families in the state dont even show up anymore, and i dont blame them, why would u want to show your good cattle to a judge that is more than likely biased toward another family. When i showed there, it was the place to be, everybody was there, close to 600 calves, now you see classes dragging into the ring with single entries. The first single entry i saw there was two years ago, and i was in disbelief.

simbman

It was really disappointing for me because I had kids that had new calves that wanted to see what they had.  We took three head and two were in single entry classes, and the other was in a class of two.  Seven Red Brangus in the whole show.  I did not see an american breed with more thirty head.  Truly disappointing.

Telos

I think the heat and drought are probably the main factors. Plus total cost makes it just too expensive for most.

Bradenh

rackranch said:
............ (pop)
time for racks words of wisdom i believe! we were there but decreased it from our normal 5 head to just 3 and we just went for points, if we wearnt wrapped up in a breed buckle i think i would have been good in the ac watching hot dog eating contests on espn

rackranch

Most of you know how I feel about the fact that the ones putting on the show and hiring the judges for the show are able to have animals in the show.  Not only have animals in the show but be aloud in the make-up area and push the animals into the ring.  As if thats not enough, they will then go stand on the rail in front of the animal looking at the judge as if to say 'I dare you to pick someone else'.  From what I could observe this technique worked about 90% of the time last week.

Now in their defense, 80% of the time they probably had the best animal in the ring.  Why, because the amount of money the families showing these animals spend, and the professional help they are able to hire.  Even the above average income family is not going to spend $48,000. on a charolias steer.  Most families in the state will spend $2000-$7000 on the top end steer in their string and fit the calves themselves.

Over the past few years the familes that I have talked to that no longer attend the BBB have told me that it is because of the politics. They are also tired of seeing the same ol dog and pony show.  Make no mistake, this is the reason the numbers are down.  You can call it politics, or whatever you want to call it, but you are going up against the very best that are out there and know that going in.  We all know this before we get there but thats why we go.  We want to see how we stand up against the very best.

I will keep on going as long as I have a calve to drag.  Why, because I like the BBB.  I have met so many nice people and made so many great friends over the years that I only get to see at the BBB, Fall Classic, or the Majors.  Oh, and there is nothing I like more than showing a $20,000 calve the back side of my daughters $2,000 calve when the judge is thru placing... (clapping)

chambero

Once upon a time, the Belt Buckle and the Fall Classic were by far the best run and biggest prospect shows.  There were other prospect shows around Texas, but competition levels and prizes usually didn't amount to much. Nowadays, there are a lot of really good prospect shows you can go to that have plenty of competition.  And that are very well run with plenty of chances to win belt buckles or whatever.  Also, state and national heifer shows have gained a lot in popularity over the last 20 years.

As a result, the Belt Buckle itself has plenty of competition.  Throw in all of the issues that Rackranch mentions and you have a show that is half what it used to be.  It's not why we don't get to go very often, but the other shows we can go to instead throughout the year make it easier to we'll stay home. 

This is one of the few businesses/activities where the words "conflict of interest" never enters some folks minds.  In reality the level of prestige the TJLA carries overall isn't what it once was because of it and the role model issues associated with the folks running it now that really does bother some people in this business who tend to be on the conservative side anyway.  And it is a whole lot deeper than just the outward appearance part.

JY

A question to Texas exhibitors, if there were other prospect shows put on (not TCCA sanctioned) that paid out real good money, do you guys think this would work. Not another assn just a set of shows. I know this has been discussed alot but so far no one ever tries this. Not saying good or bad just wondering.

Bradenh

JY said:
A question to Texas exhibitors, if there were other prospect shows put on (not TCCA sanctioned) that paid out real good money, do you guys think this would work. Not another assn just a set of shows. I know this has been discussed alot but so far no one ever tries this. Not saying good or bad just wondering.
i would be there, depending on where it was held

The Show

JY said:
Sounds kinda like Ivey League Shows, but their TCCA sanctioned. I think it would work, just a lot of things to consider. I wouldn't do more than a spring, fall, and maybe a summer show.

outlawcattlecompany

As much as we all gripe about TCCA and the politics of it, the texas show cattle industry needs the TCCA very badly. I think most of us would admit it's one of those things you hate to love. We all know how addictive showing is (hints why we spend our time on a forum about it - we just can't get enough). My best memories in high school were running for the 3 breed jackets I ended up with. Nothing made this kid more happy than having a show to go to every single weekend.