Best age for clean up bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cham2135

I'm running about 35-40 cows and looking at new clean up bulls. I have 2 angus bulls and will sell 1 or both.  What is a good age for a clean up? Would I need more than one bull? About 3/4 of the cows will be AIed the rest will be bull bred.

Limiman12

If you take good care of him, mineral esp, but maybe supplement him some one would probably do.  That is a load from the number of butts to sniff but hopefully will only be breeding 15-20 which is very manageable.  A bull with some experience might do the job better, ESP if the AI cows are going to be synced.  I have seen young bulls fall in love with a cow and stay with her all day and miss others.....  Older bulls findem....  F%** em......  And forget em to move on to the next cow better.  Otherwise a 14 month old bull at breeding time is about as young as I would go.

Cham2135

Thanks guys. Just wanted to get a few more opinions on the topic.

CAB

I would say that if you are going to sync them herd and AI then you will need 2 clean up bulls. If you are breeding off of natural heats you will be good with one clean up bull. If you are wanting to sync and breed but only want to buy 1 clean up bull, divide the group into 3 groups so that the recycles don't all come at the same time. JMO.

RyanChandler

Big factor will be the size of the pasture they're in when they start cycling too.  Dry lotted or in a pretty small area, a good bull will cover several cows a day.  Of course, since you already have the bulls, it sure won't hurt to keep them both around--- though I have seen young bulls in the same pasture seem a little too preoccupied butting heads w/ each other to address the cow needs. 

Barry Farms

Keep the bull that you like the best and sell the other one, a single bull is plenty for breeding up to 30 cows. He is (hopefully) only going to cover 20 cows.