Best breed for grass feeding? Any opinions?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Quello

I am looking for a breed to hay feed and finish them on grain.  what are your suggestions.

Thanks

vc

A British cross, Hereford/Angus, Shorthorn/Angus, Shorthorn/Hereford

trevorgreycattleco

Luing cattle are scarce but excel. Lowlines. Galloway. Just about any genetics from south America but you can't get it here in the USA.  Murray grays also excel. A few lines of shorthorns, black angus, or red angus could cross well on any cow herd of said breeds. IMO its more about type than breed to be successful in grass based programs. I think a linebred cow base bred to another different breed bull who is also linebred is the way to go to get the quality in the carcass and the growth from the heterosis. Just my two cents.

knightskier

Quello said:
I am looking for a breed to hay feed and finish them on grain.  what are your suggestions.

Thanks

Been raising Limousin cattle for 12 years. Great breed.

RidinHeifer

Lowline!
Go to crosscreekcattle.com then the sires page.  The bull doc Holliday(deceased) was 100% grass.  At 8 yrs old when I saw him 2 years ago, he was a butterball on pretty crappy hay.  Never ate grain, plus he sires amazing carcasses on grass!

Diamond

Murray greys, they excell on grass and are truly impressive cattle. I have recently did a 9 year old cow, the butcher ended up buying half from me at $4.50 lb.

marku

lowline, and I have some for sale.  getting out of them to fund club calves. 

HAB

trevorgreycattleco said:
Luing cattle are scarce but excel. Lowlines. Galloway. Just about any genetics from south America but you can't get it here in the USA.  Murray grays also excel. A few lines of shorthorns, black angus, or red angus could cross well on any cow herd of said breeds. IMO its more about type than breed to be successful in grass based programs. I think a linebred cow base bred to another different breed bull who is also linebred is the way to go to get the quality in the carcass and the growth from the heterosis. Just my two cents.

I will 2nd the Galloway.  The AGBA has many breeders that use Galloway for direct marketed grass fed beef.  www.americangalloway.com

Latest posts