Best Carrier Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

showsteerdlux

Show stopper 95 said:
you cant breed heifers to monopoly but we all know its worth the risk to breed a carrier to a carrier and 'roll the dice' (thumbsup) (thumbsup) <rock>
Not going to argue that breeding heifers to monopoly is a bad idea, however, I do know of some guys that breed their 1st calf heifers to a THC monopoly son, whether they are carriers or THF.

I have heard from a few guys that Monopoly is a "soft" carrier, and that when he is bred to a THC female, that typically you will get the freaks, but not the issues from a "hard" carrier. Some of the "hard" carriers I have heard mentioned come the Vegas bloodlines, and I have also heard Indian Outlaw isn't one that you would want to try breeding to a THC.

I have often wondered if there are a certain number of alleles required to line up when a cow becomes preganant for TH to be seen negatively. I guess this could be a whole different topic, but I still wonder.

shortyjock89

Bollocks. TH is a simple recessive deletion gene. This "hard" and "soft" business is wrong.

Source: spent a lot of time in the lab where the test was developed.

knabe

showsteernc said:
I have often wondered if there are a certain number of alleles required to line up when a cow becomes preganant for TH to be seen negatively.

i have often wondered if there are a certain number of dead calves and cows required to be seen for TH to be seen negatively.

showsteerdlux

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Bollocks. TH is a simple recessive deletion gene. This "hard" and "soft" business is wrong.

And this said lab also mistakenly called Ivy League THF. Not going to argue this one way or the other, but just because the PhD that developed the test hasn't found this, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

knabe

So what's the theory.

That a heterozygous bull for this new "allele"can have a mild effect for what?

What evidence do you have that it's the same gene.

shortyjock89

showsteernc said:
Olson Family Shorthorns said:

And this said lab also mistakenly called Ivy League THF. Not going to argue this one way or the other, but just because the PhD that developed the test hasn't found this, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

So basically ONE test, which was read inaccurately by a PERSON, determines if it's a good test or not.  I would place a large sum of money on a wager saying that the TH gene does not have any sort of diluter mechanism.  If they're a TH carrier, they're a carrier.  Now, I do not know what would happen if you mated an Outkast carrier to an Improver carrier, I would assume the same as an Imp x Imp.

DakotaCow

Show stopper 95 said:
Yeah the morrow calf, bonham bought him and won a major, I don't think he was ever beat

If I'm not mistaken Vicklands beat him with the hwXwho steer they had. Calf was raised by Reimann

showsteerdlux

DakotaCow said:
Show stopper 95 said:
Yeah the morrow calf, bonham bought him and won a major, I don't think he was ever beat

If I'm not mistaken Vicklands beat him with the hwXwho steer they had. Calf was raised by Reiman
That is correct. He was beat once. Wonder what ever happened to that Vickland calf?

showsteerdlux

Barry Farms said:
Hmmmmmmmmmm he was still the all time winningest steer EVER so that is pretty amazing and he'll probobly be cloned
He was cloned last summer by Lautner and Bonham. Word was they bought him from Morrow for $60,000.