Best Day in a Long Time

Help Support Steer Planet:

showsteerdlux

I just found out that I got into my school of choice NC State in the animal science program. Hopefully my hard work in hs will payoff now that I can go to school where I want and for what I want.

shortyjock89

Good feeling isn't it? I remember when I got my letter of admission.  Hope you enjoy going there!

showsteerdlux

O I will. IDK who was happier, me or my judging coach/boss at the local research station who has encouraged me for a long time. Hopefully I can make them even prouder and pay them back for all the help they've given me.

shortdawg

That's great ! Good education is something no one can ever take from you. The Superintendent in the school system I serve in as a board member has a brother who works with the livestock at NC State.

jason

Here is a great quote...

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Malinda

Congratulations.

My acceptance letter came back in 1968 but I still remember getting the letter out of the mailbox and carrying it all the way to the house unopened because I was too nervous to open it!

One of my favorite quotes is from Abraham Lincoln: I will study and prepare and perhaps someday my chance will come.

When do you start?

Good luck.

Malinda

knabe

A benefactor to nc state provides all the bricks.  they are slick in the sleet and kids fall down every year, so don't walk on the brick when it sleets or you will be on your duff.

i think nc state had the first public nuclear reactor.

i also threw up outside the door before going to a stats class, so watch out for that.

also, like osu, there are too many bars across the street, so watch out for that, and don't get too enamored with the bar in bull durham.

the science, engineering, stats, ag departments there are top notch.

live in the dorms for at least the first year.  you will meet friends and study mates more easily.  the housing system is run pretty efficiently.

the ag grounds are pretty awesome.  so is the solar passive heating cooling house across the highway from the main campus.

you picked a good school.

shortdawg

We had two reserves under John back in Dec. at a Jackpot Show. His brother is also a great judge and has judged as big as San Antonio ( he's going to the Dixie Nat'ls next month) and as small as local including all types of animals. He told me last week that he coached a Nat'l Champion Chicken judging team ! ;D I've never met John. I didn't think I should talk to him at that show b/c I wouldn't want anyone to think there was any politics involved since I know his brother so well.

Jill

You know this is a bit off topic, but a couple of years ago they were giving full ride scholarships for kids to go into chicken judging, might be something to look at>

shortdawg

Jill, The reason I mentioned that to him about the other animals is b/c of the thread on here the other day about judges who could do it all. He then shared that about the chickens. I thought that was pretty cool to be able to judge multiple animal divisions in one big show.

JD, I think the Nat'l Champ team was while he was at OK State;  He doesn't coach anymore. He does judge shows all over the country. Ask John about his big brother.

Jill

showsteerdlux said:
Ok Ill do that. Jill what was that about the scholarships?
My nephew said K-State was the one doing that when he was in school.  I don't know if they still do or not, but it would be worth checking into.

red

Congrats! It's good to know there are still kids out there not afraid of a little hard work!!!

Red