Best Denver Bulls 2012

Help Support Steer Planet:

jaimiediamond

knabe said:
They should make them trot.

Soundness would improve if we judged them on their trot movement! We could do it like sport horse in hand on a triangle walk the first one then trot the second one.  Before animal heads out on the triangle the judges could always assess it from the feet up then put a high value on the movement. This can easily identify those who are structurally sound front back and side view.... Of course now the big problem is getting said bull to want to trot the videos I watched showed animals that would much rather sleep, or eat.

Will

Let me start by saying I am guilty.  But why on earth do we get our show cattle so fat. Feed is horribly expensive and it has so many negative effects on their future production.  I know you can cover a lot of short coming by making one fat but why take it to the extreme.

frostback

scotland said:
thunderdownunder can u explain your comment? 'honest working bulls that you could trust not to fall apart. "  y ou must have an exceptional talent sure like some of that..
Wait... your a consultant and you cannot do this?

Okotoks

Freerider said:
HAB said:
aj said:
I personally won't but a bull unless I have seen him change leads at a full gallop.

A.J.- watch it to the end.  ;D

http://www.blegengalloways.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/periclespasture2011.mov

Was he at Denver this year? How did he do?

Wait...was there even a Galloway show this year?

The Galloway show was on Monday Jan 16th, I missed it as that was the day of the Shorthorn show and we left even before that was over.
What I don't understand is why commercial breeders don't use Galloway in a cross breeding program more often. Easy way to maintain or improve carcass quality, keep the black hides and get really good hair...

HAB

Freerider said:
HAB said:
aj said:
I personally won't but a bull unless I have seen him change leads at a full gallop.

http://www.blegengalloways.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/periclespasture2011.mov

He was in the Herd Bull display from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Jan. 12th-  Jan.15th.
We showed on the 16th, as Okotoks said.  There was 60 hd of Galloways this year.  He was named Gr. Champion Galloway bull, for the 3rd straight year.  His yearling son was Reserve.  He is 7yrs old in the video, and weighed 2,400 lbs at the time.

He changes his leads, just like A.J wanted.

Okotoks- most of our interest and sales is to commercial Angus ranches, for those very reasons.

knabe

CAB said:
knabe said:
They should make them trot.

Knabe, do you know just how hard it is to just get some of those bulls to stand in the sun for a portion of the day??

I've had every animal learn to trot with a step, they can see you change your posture.. It's pretty easy. It helps reinforce stopping with them watching and being in time with you and looks more natural changing speed within a walk. I would argue the opposite. It makes everything easier.  All these things help the animal pay attention to you rather than drifting away.  There really isnt anything you can't get them to do along these lines.  You can get them to stop in scissors mode, move a leg all with the tip of a halter. One of my favorite showmanship things to do is have the judge see me about to move a leg and the animal moves it before the stick gets there.  You have to be ready to be looked at first and I think people get caught up into rushing to set up so when the judge circles to see you you are set up. I think it's wrong to be focused on that. I think it's much better to be focused on setting up efficiently and smoothly with a minimum of correction and an almost elimination of micro tweaks to get perfection. The animal shouldnknow what perfection is.

knabe

I might add if showmanship added trotting it would really separate the class rather than over focusing on setting up and everyone be frustrated with subtle differences in style and ponytails and tight tops.  Course the good would rise to the top anyway.  Hopefully if an adult woman showed an animal at the trot they wouldn't wear those big tent dresses and old lady walking shoes like at Westminster that seem required attire.

OH Breeder

HAB said:
Freerider said:
HAB said:
aj said:

We showed on the 16th, as Okotoks said.  There was 60 hd of Galloways this year.  He was named Gr. Champion Galloway bull, for the 3rd straight year.  His yearling son was Reserve.  He is 7yrs old in the video, and weighed 2,400 lbs at the time.

Okotoks- most of our interest and sales is to commercial Angus ranches, for those very reasons.

Nice cross country course you have with the gully set up........ but now could you put some Cavaletti's up for his final performance?

HAB

Nice cross country course you have with the gully set up........ but now could you put some Cavaletti's up for his final performance?

There is 3 ft of water in the bottom of that gully too.  I will work on the other obstacles.  The badger holes, wash outs,  and coyote dens have been working so far to cull out the "not so fleet of foot"

kfacres

HAB said:
Freerider said:
HAB said:
aj said:

youp showed a 7 y.o. bull, and he's a 3x national champion.. impressive...  I think it would be cool to have a small little set of Galloway cows-- wouldn't take much feed I don't suppose... 

showsister

Sambosu said:
I am interested in knowing thoughts on a bull I believe named "American Idol". Friend works for the family and he told me they took it to Denver. I think it was sired by Ali and a Heatwave Dam
I dont know anything about that one but i know of an "AMerican Idol" bull owned by Cunningham Family Farms! hes a powerfull bull and throws some awsome calves!!

jaimiediamond

HAB said:

There is 3 ft of water in the bottom of that gully too.  I will work on the other obstacles.  The badger holes, wash outs,  and coyote dens have been working so far to cull out the "not so fleet of foot"

With those obstacles you can't help but admire his natural athletic ability and striding.  I see a new sport coming 3 day eventing bovine style ;)