best Friction son ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chap

We will be flushing this Draft Pick x Angus cow this spring.  She is TH -and PHA-, She is 11 years old and has always had really nice calves, a beautiful udder and is the definition of productive.  AI first service every year, has had 3 sets of twins, raised both every time and still breeds back 1st service.  We want to propigate females and think something in the Flush line would work well.  Friction and his sons are the most appealling to me.  Does anyone have any suggestiions?  I would rather not use a rookie, and would like reports on some of the other Friction sons. 

Attachments

• dpcow.JPG
    dpcow.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 552

RSC

Chap said:
We will be flushing this Draft Pick x Angus cow this spring.  She is TH -and PHA-, She is 11 years old and has always had really nice calves, a beautiful udder and is the definition of productive.  AI first service every year, has had 3 sets of twins, raised both every time and still breeds back 1st service.  We want to propigate females and think something in the Flush line would work well.  Friction and his sons are the most appealling to me.  Does anyone have any suggestiions?  I would rather not use a rookie, and would like reports on some of the other Friction sons. 
How about the Flush Clone?  Dr. Who?  Nice cow.  What would an OCC Bred angus bull work like on her?  If you were into trying a rookie Friction Son, Tinman was a Friction I believe and I thought he had alot to offer.

RSC

Chap

she is negative for both defects.  Looking for a clean bull to make females so we don't have to worry about future breeding decisions.  We have used Mossy Oak on her a couple times and the calves were nice, but i think the friction cattle are more sound and have a bit more maternal strength. Full Flush is certainly an option, but I would like to be that extra generation away from Flush so we are more current with todays type.  What are reports on Shake N Bake and Jigsaw.  I also like the looks of the new bull Static X.  She has a Habeger TX Hold Em this year, looks good but a bit steery and straight to make a breeding female. 

shorthorns r us

ahhh.  as i read it she is a carrier.  my neighbor and i both have FF cows. mostly Meyer, DP, & ???(grisxolds 2x bred cunia, all these pain pills give me brain damage) on the bottom.  good calves mated about every way.  cows can run in a pretty high gear and get thin if you aren't careful.

OH Breeder

after seeing my 3C Macho heifer is like. I am going to definitely use him again. I have seen a few females and if you are looking for future females, I would give 3C Macho a try. OCC Legend comes to mind and makes wonderful females. Duff's new bull SEK  DUff's First Look, that cow family has had some high sellers and very maternal. Like your cow.

cowman

You want a Friction son with maternal power. How about one whose dam is a 2-time Louisville Champion in the Chi's? What do you think of Static Friction? See Attachment.

KYsteer

If you want to go the safe route you could go angus and breed her to a bull like Duff New Edition or Emblazon, for a sure thing cow.  My vote would be to go Simmi with her.  Macho is not a bad idea at all.  He will keep her stylish and add some power to her.  The whole Friction idea for a maternal cow seems like a bad idea to me.  Remember the reason that she has been a great cow is that she is an F1 female and offers a lot of heterosis.  It has also helped her probably be consistent.  I would breed her Friction if you want a steer, but go a purebred route for a female.

afhm

If you are going to flush her, bow up and spend the money for Friction.  Of all his sons I like Jigsaw the best, 1st calves should be on the ground now.  I do like the suggestion of going back to Full Flush himself.  Another option would be the smokey Flush son White Fang.  Good luck.

GONEWEST

If you use Friction to flush with, get a straw of the batch tested for fertilitybefore you go to all that trouble.

CAB

I've been waiting to hear or see some Shake & bake calves and Jigsaw has been a bull that I like the looks of, but wonder if they will have some sheath to them. Jigsaw would be my choice though of the Friction sons, but not any real info about his calves. A bull that I have also been studying is a F-1 bull Meyer X An, Sight Unseen. Huston Cattle Co. featured females out of him last fall. 8 head of heifers out of him averaged over $4000.00.

Chap

we have a sight unseen daughter from Huston's sale.  she has a really neat New Look bull calf at side that will probably stay a bull.  We really like her and will probably flush the Draft Pick to Sight Unseen as well.  I thought they were the most impressive set of breds at that sale.  Very consistent.

CAB

Chap, please keep us posted about what you are seeing out of Sight Unseen. On the short list. Right now I think that 3/4 Angus  X 1/4 Simi back to clubbie bulls is what may be best for the clubbie momma's.

Jill

Why would you use Full Flush for females, I'm ready to take both of ours to the sale barn, can't seem to get a live calf out of either of them?

C-CROSS

We used jigsaw and are real please with the calves and being 1/2 angus the females should be good (clapping)

CAB

Chap or anyone, what about Caldwell's bull Live Wire? He was a bull that I tried to get semen on a few years back but couldn't. Did he come around or was he a 1 and done deal? I like the looks of him although he looks framey. Is he THC? If anyone used him or has saw calves out of him, please let us all know.

Chap

I haven't heard any more on Live Wire since he came out.  I think we have decided to go with Sight UnSeen and then try her to Hairy.  Couldn't get enough consistent info on the Friction sons to feel comfortable with them.  Maybe in a year or so we will have better info to work with. We switched gears and decided on Hairy after hearing good reports from several that had used him last year.  one quote was " you will get some nice steers, and can ring the bell with a heifer".  I also think the Hairietta cow is enough to go with him.

mp

Who has the sight unseen bull? Is there a picture of him anywhere