Best front-end/neck?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sparty-On

Looking for suggestions on a 3/4 or PB simm bull that throws the best front ends?  Muscling and depth of body aren't an issue...just looking for a cleaner front end and a little more extension.  Thanks.

Simmgal

My American Pride's have been pretty clean fronted, even when used on my heavy fronted cows! I had a friend who suggested Chopper and Bandwagon for cleaning up fronts a while back, but I haven't had a chance to see any calves recently. I didn't think my Shock Force fronts were too bad for the depth he threw either!

firesweepranch

Built Right, but he is getting expensive! I am so glad I have 5 straws in my tank, purchased when he was alive...

GoWyo

Why breed out the lunkhead and heavy front from simmentals?  Will lose your breed character.  Like breeding the horns off a corriente or putting spots on an angus.  ;)

Gargan

firesweepranch said:
Built Right, but he is getting expensive! I am so glad I have 5 straws in my tank, purchased when he was alive...
Have you ever ivf'd with built right? I am curious as to how it sorts .

SimFarmer

IMO Bandwagon won't help clean up fronts unless the cow is pretty clean. We have had 6 calves out of him and the ones that were improved were out of the cleaner fronted cows. He also adds more brisket that hangs lower. From calves I've seen Chopper seems to be the best PB but I have seen some clean fronted High Regard calves. WS Revival or LLSF Uprising look to be pretty good with front ends too but I have seen some with heavy fronts. We are following trends and turning to Angus and Maine to clean up fronts on some of our cows.

Simmgal

SimFarmer said:
IMO Bandwagon won't help clean up fronts unless the cow is pretty clean. We have had 6 calves out of him and the ones that were improved were out of the cleaner fronted cows. He also adds more brisket that hangs lower. From calves I've seen Chopper seems to be the best PB but I have seen some clean fronted High Regard calves. WS Revival or LLSF Uprising look to be pretty good with front ends too but I have seen some with heavy fronts. We are following trends and turning to Angus and Maine to clean up fronts on some of our cows.

I second High Regard! IMO he worked best on cows with some size and power.

firesweepranch

Gargan said:
firesweepranch said:
Have you ever ivf'd with built right? I am curious as to how it sorts .

No I have not. I have not heard how well it sorts either... but I am sure many have done it. His heifers are awesome, bulls not so much.