Best/funniest story!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

"Justme" & I were brainstorming & we cam up with this topic.
What was some of you best or funniest memories at a show?
What was the funniest thing that has happened to you or someone else breaking a calf?

I know there has got to be some really good ones out there!

Red (cow)

red

We had a red heifer, that was out of the limi bull we had for the farm. Called her Mabel. big thing but we thought she was show material.
I'm tall but I'm not a big person, so for me I used to wrap the rope once around my waist for extra leverage. Yes, you say, what an idiot. I was leading her & something must have spooked her. She takes off & I'm trying to hold my ground. Well she goes running, I loose my balance & of course w/ the rope tied around me, I going along with her. At some point, I fall down. Now, I'm rolling along doing somersaults & actually mange to loose my shirt in the process. My daughter, who never was calm, was screaming at the top of her lungs that I was being killed. Of course this upset the heifer even more. Finally after I think was only actually several minutes, I got broken free. No shirt, jeans half off me, covered in grass stains & everything else. I think I was bruised on almost every part of my body. Had to do a business presentaion the next day for work (told them hubby did it). no broken bones or bad cuts. Now I realize why you don't tie a rope around your waist!!!!

Red

cowz

This is not a calf breaking story.....its a geeezzz louizzzz story about show pigs.   

I do not know the reason why, but my oldest son loves showing pigs, especially at our state fair.  We had a nice trio of show pigs.  He hand fed them 3 times a day in summer, constantly tweaking feed, walked them twice a day.  Tame and knew how to come when called.  In fact, the one pig who needed to have her weight held knew that she had to walk over to the shop, wait for the door to be opened for her, and that she had to step on the scale to be weighed before her bedtime came .

One day it was blazing hot.  He decided he would come along to town with me.  We were only gone for 2 hours.  Came home. Pigs all gone.  Vanished.  No sign anywhere.  Panic ensues.  It was too hot for pigs, especially fat show pigs to be outside.  They would be dead in no time.    Three of us split up and go separate ways to search.  We look under every tree, all along the creek, in all the pens, every building.  We drive all four directions to ask the neighbors if they saw them.  We even interrogate the dogs.    No answers.  Son is devistated.  I suggest we search the creek on the neighor's place.  We walked everywhere.  Then we see the mud move.  Six beadie little eyes come up out of the mud. 

We were never so glad to wash mud off pigs in our lives.  Son guarded stupid pigs while deadbolt lock is put on outside of pighouse.  Stupid pigs!!! ;D

farmboy

Something similar to red, my brother got the halter rapped around his foot and was drug up through the pasture, the creek(a very large one) and was finally dropped off in the middle of the hay ring standing in the middle of some big ol' angus bulls. Hilarious on my behalf. thank god he kicked off his boot. (cow)

AS FOR ME, IN THE MIDDLE OF MY CLASS AT THE SCIOTO COUNTY FAIR, I LET MY CHAIN LOOSE AND HE SLIPPED THE HALTER. THIS HAS BEEN THE MEANEST STEER I'VE HAD SO FAR. HE'S BUCKIN' AROUND AND EVERYBODYS STARING IN AWE. FINALLY THE RING HAND CAUGHT HIM AND RETURNED HIM TO ME.SURE I GOT LAST IN MY CLASS, BUT HEY, HE WON THE RATE-OF-GAIN AT 3.009 PER DAY AND SOLD 3rd $$$$$$$$$ ;D

genes

When I was 10 I was in my first big show.  When they were working on the placings the ringman got me to move I think just to get up near the others still not placed.  Well I had to go between the first and second place heifers because that's where there was room, and as soon as Suzy got between other calves, she stopped dead and wouldn't move.  The ringman didn't notice for a long time and I was stuck standing there, no clue what to do.  My parents laughed at me after saying I tried to sneak in.    Ah well.

A couple of years later I had this nice quiet steer which was nice because I'd had a couple of years of bad calves.  The first class of the day was a club group of four steers, so we had set up people and didn't take our own showsticks.  My steer got a little excited and I had no stick to slow him down, off he bounced and down I went :(  Broke my arm.  That's not the funny part...the funny part is that I got my friend to take him into his class maybe 10 or 15 minutes later, and he layed down on her!!

brahmergirl

My son's first year at the fair, the goat project was not a large one at that time.  Growing up in town and being in 4-H, goats were not exactly in my vocabulary nor my encyclopedia so a friend and I were standing there looking at these poor little goats that some little boy had brought to the fair.  The poor things had no ears!  It was the saddest thing ever!  My friend and I had discussed how the freeze must have got them or maybe the other goats ate them off but whatever happened how sad!  And to think that the parents had this poor kid bring them to show!!! OH, how dare they!  They must not have been able to afford goats with ears! That poor little boy had "shrek" goats. 

The next year, there were a ton of earless goats.  We then inquired about them and were told...

...They were La Mancha's.  Earless goats! ;D  You learn something new everyday, sad thing was it took my friend and I a year to figure it out!

brahmergirl

genes

brahmergirl, you are not the only one.  When we first considered getting goats we wandered over to the goat show barn at Agribition to do some learning.  Being used to show cattle, when I saw the first LaMancha, I said to Dad "Wow they can actually show a goat with frozen ears and not get docked?"  Then I saw another one.  Then another ... and......  We finally asked someone and it was all explained.  We later ended up with some of our own "Munchies" and we crossed them to Boers (floppy ears) so it was fun guessing how the kids ears would turn out.

red

were they one way or the other? not an inbetween ear? That sounds like something I'd think of, poor little frost bitten goats!

Red

brahmergirl

nope, they literally look like little immature trumpet vine flowers.  You know the red looking flowered vine that grows and grows and you can't get it killed out and it attracts the bees and stuff?  They just look like little nubs or abcesses.  They are just too funny looking!

Brahmergirl

bluegrass

When I was 10 yrs old (2nd year showing) I had a chi steer because they were all the rage then (1986). This steer was a real lunitic and this 10 year old boy had his hands full all summer. After many horriffic moments at several county fairs we get the bright idea to take this beast that will spook at his own shadow to Louisville to the State Fair. Somehow we managed to keep him pretty calm amid all the noise, traffic, and of course strollers. Then comes show time. We make it over to Broadbent with no problem. I show the steer and he acts great and wins his class. We are overjoyed to say the least. So we are going back to the west wing and in those days they used that narrow hallway where the livestock office is for the walkway to and from the showring. Just as I get halfway thru the hallway my steer makes a hard right and gets away and goes straight into the womens restroom. My dad and I just stand there and look at each other like you go get him. As a lady comes out and says there's a wild steer in there I noticed my dad was red as a beet. Then just as he had mustered the courage to go in and get him the steer met him at the door. He grabed him up and we made it back to the stalls with no more problems, except our embarressment. We have laughed about it many times since then. Thankfully they no longer use that hallway for a livestock passage.

cowz

That was a good one!  I really hope we get to go to Louisville this fall.  I will be sure to look very carefully before I go into the ladies room............

genes

That's hilarious  (lol)  I can only imagine stepping out of the bathroom stall to a raging Chi steer    ;D