Best Heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

GONEWEST

Once I was married to a woman who had a 22" waist and THOUGHT she was fat. She was one of the most beautiful women on the planet and at times she would go three weeks without taking a shower because she THOUGHT she was too ugly to look in the mirror. That experience should have taught me not to argue with those who go by FEELINGS instead of FACTS. I apologize for the argument and won't do it again. Promise.

bradycreek

gilbert07 said:
..Shes the second best heifer that i have had that wont breed.. i have had other heifer just as good that wouldnt breed and the

I've held off on posting but here I go. different situations call for different management.  I may of overlooked it but you stated that this is your second hefier that wouldn't breed. It may be a managment issue. Too fat or needs high quality mineral whatever.  I'm sure you have already looked into this but seems strange you have a few calves and 2 hefiers wouldn't take.  The suggestion to ask a good local cattleman what they think (which I'm sure you have) is a good one.
If it were me and she was in my pure bred herd I'd probally call it a loss and go on. You stated that you work hard to support yourself and your cattle adventure. Taking her to several diffenent vets, trying this and that may not be in your "money's" best intrest. If she is a supperior animal (winner of major show or something) I might be more inclined to spend more time and money.

Question--what is she costing you---if on pasture green grass is coming and running her with a bull for a couple of more months to see if she settles might be the cheapest thing you could try. If so make sure she is on a good mineral program and free choice salt.  Sometimes it can take a while to get a fat hefier to settle so if on green grass lay off the feed but do keep her in good just not top condition.
The suggestion to take her back to where she was purchased if possible or contact the breeder is a great idea. She may have a breeding guarentee.
In any case I think you will make the right choice. Good luck in America we need a whole lot more young hardworking boys and girls like you.
dh

Jill

GONEWEST-If that is directed at me, I didn't have a issue with the arguement, it just didn't answer his question, and I guess in rereading he wasn't really asking anything just making a statement.

To address your arguement, I believe maternal is heretible, not fertility.  I think there are certain breeds that mature later than others, but infertility is usually caused by issues that don't relate to the parent, JMO.

gilbert07

i apologize for what i did...i was just upset because not only was she a good heifer she was also a really good buddy...i really got attachted to her...thats not her in my picture...i bought her two years ago at a sale...but the guy said he took her to the sale barn on saturday...i am just gonna move on and buy another one as soon as possible...the guy will give me my money back so i can buy another..i plan on bidding on one this weekend so hopefully it will come out well, but as for my rudeness i apologize and hope everyone will not look down at me and think im a cocky jerk or something...thanks for all the help, if it wasnt for all you ppl on here i wouldnt have learned so much...i learn something new everyday because of you ppl and i really appreciate it...thanks again

tim

JoeBnTN

Gilbert,

It's too late to change what's happened with this heifer, but it might be good to look into your pastures before buying your next heifer.  A couple of years ago we had a "great" heifer we couldn't get bred - tried everything (even wrote Cowboy - who offered some great advice).  Finally the vet asked if he could flush her to look at her eggs and see if that gave a clue. Flushed her and got 22 No 1 eggs - looked at 3 under the scope and they were perfect.  Let the heifer cycle again and rebred, still couldn't get her to take. Finally we thought about environmental effects - pasture, feed, water, etc..  Send a forage sample off and guess what - we had a fungus infested fescue pasture.  The result of the fungus is that cattle kept a constantly elevated body temperature -2-3 degrees above normal.  Not enough for her to appear or act sick, but the elevated temperature adversely affected her ability to maintain a pregnancy.  Changed her pasture and waited 60 days, rebred her and guess what - she stuck.  Calved normally and rebred on time the next year.  My point is that not all breeding problems are genetic.  I don't keep problem animals, BUT I try to be sure before I sell one that the problem is the animal and not the manager. 

Just a thought to keep in mind.

JoeBnTN

Doc,

Wish I was but I've got to work Saturday. Our Board meets that day and I have to make a presentation for their approval.  I'm not sure about Dad, he was talking about it last weekend, but I'm not sure what he decided.  He had someone wanting to come Saturday and look at the K-Kim heifers he has to sell, but If I was guessing I'd bet he'll be there. 

aj

From a selection standpoint to can't select for good fertility you have to cull out poor fertility.

red

gilbert07 said:
i apologize for what i did...i was just upset because not only was she a good heifer she was also a really good buddy...i really got attachted to her...thats not her in my picture...i bought her two years ago at a sale...but the guy said he took her to the sale barn on saturday...i am just gonna move on and buy another one as soon as possible...the guy will give me my money back so i can buy another..i plan on bidding on one this weekend so hopefully it will come out well, but as for my rudeness i apologize and hope everyone will not look down at me and think im a cocky jerk or something...thanks for all the help, if it wasnt for all you ppl on here i wouldnt have learned so much...i learn something new everyday because of you ppl and i really appreciate it...thanks again

tim

you're OK Tim. I'm sure after all the hard work it's very discouraging. The thread just took a wrong turn & it's none of your fault.

Red