Best ideas for bedding

Help Support Steer Planet:

Quello

In the past we have bedded down with straw both in the barn and at shows.  I was wondering what others suggested for bedding.  At shows I have seen some use a type of mulch or bagged shavings.  I have also seen the shavings put down then they lay some outdoor carpet or rubber mats down at the front of the steer/heifer for them to lay on.  Thanks for all input.

vc

Straw can leave stains and does not absorb moisture very well. We use Ceder Fiber at home and Shaving at shows, the Ceder Fiber last quite a while if you keep it mucked out. The Shavings at show are usually packed and wetted down to keep them from blowing all over and it makes it easy to keep clean, the mat at the head of the calf is called a stomp mat it is used to keep them from digging holesin the shavings and stops them from throwing shavings all over, it also helps keep the hay and grain from getting mixed into the shavings.

angus214

We use pine shavings at home and at shows (large flake) We also use a mat and wet and pack beds down. We use straw at tie outs. We put the carpet over our beds on show day and fit in the beds