Best investment, 4 yr old cow or 3 full sib embryos

Help Support Steer Planet:

dutch pride

If you were looking for a female to add to your herd and could get a 4yr old cow or 3 full sib embryos for the same money, which would you do and why?

DLZ

r2scott

The cow because you will only get 1 of the three maybe 2 of the embryos to take.  The embryos unless sexed may be bulls and there is no guartee that the full sibs will be as good as the 4 yr female.  The 4yr old you can flush and get all the eggs you want.  Thats just my opinion and i would like to hear others.

Davis Shorthorns

r2scott said:
The cow because you will only get 1 of the three maybe 2 of the embryos to take.  The embryos unless sexed may be bulls and there is no guartee that the full sibs will be as good as the 4 yr female.  The 4yr old you can flush and get all the eggs you want.  Thats just my opinion and i would like to hear others.

+1 (thumbsup)

firesweepranch

Davis Shorthorns said:
r2scott said:

+2 (thumbsup)

dutch pride

OK; seems everyone agrees the cow is the best deal, so my next question would be; What are the embryos worth? Half the value of the cow? More or less? Thoughts?

Thanks again for everyones opinions,

DLZ

bryan6807

depends on the cows track record. most embryos will run anywhere from $150-$400/egg for cows that produce good calves, if you are buying out of a big auction like the frozen gold, then expect to shell out a lot of money (over 1k/egg)