Best place for cattle during a blizzard?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Tex

I know you guys up north have more experience with snow and blizzards on a regular basis.  What is the best place for cattle during a blizzard out on pasture, behind a wind break or wall or under a shed?  I have seen cattle get trapped in a corner and smother or get snow in lungs, they where out on pasture, but I can see that scenario being created in the lots behind a wall.  Comments are welcome for this Texas Panhandle rancher. 

HAB

Having access to some kind of windbreak.  row of bales, stack of bales, windbreak wall, side of a building, shelter belts (tree rows) is all they need.

ploughshare

Harley is right.  Get them out of the wind is the first priority.  They can deal with the snow.

Pleasant Grove Farms

betting you won't have the horrendous wind chills that we have here in South Dakota.....
as said, wind break and they will just be fine;
if you get the high amounts of snow they are forecasting, and wind and drifting, then you will have to watch for snow
that gets drifted higher than fences; cattle are really good at finding these locations where drifts cover fences and they
just walk over the top of the drifts (over the fences too) and can end up who knows where!

Latest posts