Best Red Simmental Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

Lucky_P

Love the look, irish.  Fleckvieh?  Does he have an ASA registration #?  ASA search on the name produced no results.
My older SimAngus cows carry a lot of Fleckvieh influence, from bulls I used back in the late 1980s, but most I've looked at recently - while they have plenty of growth, are pretty low on marbling and tenderness traits.
To me, the Apostle bull is what a Simmental should look like, but I'd take a hit in the pocketbook selling red white-faced steers, regardless of whether it was deserved or not.

Mark H

Curraheen Apostle is the result of an embryo from Canada that was sold to Ireland.  His entire pedigree is well understood in Canada and for a Polled Fleck he isn't bad.  If you are willing to use a horned bull many other Fleck bulls would work but most Fleck bulls don't have the calving ease required by the people on this website.  His sire Seven Seas RaZzamatazz 7R is a red bull with a blaze on his face and fits the idea of what a red Simmental is for the vast majority of people on this website compared to his son.

SCowger

cpubarn said:
SCowger said:
Check out Homeboy!

Homeboy  does look nice!  Too bad I only want a few straws, looks like I will have to wait until 2014.

Mark
Mark we are waiting on polled test results and might make semen available in smaller quantities.
Call with any questions

cattleboy

Wow guys this is really great!! I must say, I really like Amigo but Homeboy is nice!

My heifer isn't a heifer anymore. Ha. I was so used to calling her my heifer that it just stuck. She has a nice half-blood heifer out of Final Product! (The second picture!) The last picture is of her about a week before she calved. Her bag hasn't dropped yet but I am very impressed with how good her bag is.

The picture is of her from september. Is out of Sand Ranch Hand and doesn't trace back to Dream On or Built Right. My goal in breeding her to a red bull is to produce a showy red blaze face heifer. I'm hoping that her blaze face will push through the genetics. Also, I want hair and bone. I want a competitive heifer that has a mild disposition and is gentle.

Thanks for all the input guys! :)

Attachments

• 312476_10150365688710477_598205476_9963767_7734850_n.jpg
    312476_10150365688710477_598205476_9963767_7734850_n.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 341
  • 471572_10150765059730477_598205476_11612388_930384140_o.jpg
    471572_10150765059730477_598205476_11612388_930384140_o.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 411
  • 478949_10150765065335477_598205476_11612401_582987083_o.jpg
    478949_10150765065335477_598205476_11612401_582987083_o.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 433

dixieland cattle co

cattleboy said:
Wow guys this is really great!! I must say, I really like Amigo but Homeboy is nice!

My heifer isn't a heifer anymore. Ha. I was so used to calling her my heifer that it just stuck. She has a nice half-blood heifer out of Final Product! (The second picture!) The last picture is of her about a week before she calved. Her bag hasn't dropped yet but I am very impressed with how good her bag is.

The picture is of her from september. Is out of Sand Ranch Hand and doesn't trace back to Dream On or Built Right. My goal in breeding her to a red bull is to produce a showy red blaze face heifer. I'm hoping that her blaze face will push through the genetics. Also, I want hair and bone. I want a competitive heifer that has a mild disposition and is gentle.

Very Nice Cow Calf.

irishshorthorns

Lucky_P said:
Love the look, irish.  Fleckvieh?  Does he have an ASA registration #?  ASA search on the name produced no results.
My older SimAngus cows carry a lot of Fleckvieh influence, from bulls I used back in the late 1980s, but most I've looked at recently - while they have plenty of growth, are pretty low on marbling and tenderness traits.
To me, the Apostle bull is what a Simmental should look like, but I'd take a hit in the pocketbook selling red white-faced steers, regardless of whether it was deserved or not.

Hi Lucky P. If you go to www.icbf.com and type in Curraheen Apostle in the bull search facility you will be able to access all the bull's data. Click on pedigree for a full pedigree. Thanks for the nice comments.

irishshorthorns

Mark H said:
Apostle is in the Progressive Genetics sire line up.  he is one of two Simmental  bulls in the catalog: http://issuu.com/laurencefeeney/docs/pgbeef2012?mode=window&pageNumber=1.
For a wider selection of Fleck bulls go to: http://www.semex.com/di/beef/i?lang=en&beef=list&av=U&cat=&breed=SI and http://www.altabeef.com/SireDirectory/

Mark H you must thave been only looking at our 2011/2012 update. We have semen available from at least 19 Simmental bulls that I can think of including Hillcrest Butcher,Monaduff Henry, Hillcrest Naughty, Hillcrest Champion, Hillcrest King, Monaduff Lord, Panzer, Starline Decision, Cairnview Snazzy, Freighduff Brendan, Hamlet, Monaduff Lord, Seepa Teejay, Hurtig, Seabank Blanco, Star Hugo, Monaduff Destiny and Killard Ken, as well as Curraheen Apostle. We have many, many more bulls in our older inventory. These are all 100% pure Simmental blood. Their pedigrees can be viewed on www.icbf.com in the bull search facility or by going to the Irish Simmental Cattle Society's website and viewing the online herdbook there.

Mark H

Irish Shorthorn what non South African or North American Simmental bull do you have that would work for the average breeder on this website?  I am asking because I would like to see something different from South African genetics dominating the fullblood business here.

irishshorthorns

If you want something totally different that would definitely stamp a type I would recommend Hillcrest Champion for an outcross in North America. His calving difficulty is slightly above the breed average but I have never heard of anyone having problems with him. He really is a breed changing sire. His progeny have dominated the show and sale scene for years. His dam was tremendous. She bred well to every different sire she was mated to. She really was a model cow. I have attached a pic. It isn't a great photo  and  he isn't posed but you will get an idea of the tremendous length of body he had.

Attachments

• hillcrest_champion.jpg
    hillcrest_champion.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 612

Mark H

I found Hillcrest Champions data at: http://www.irishsimmental.com/site/wp-content/uploads/iscs_sire_catalogue_0811.pdf.  Nice bull with great numbers. Do you have any pictures of calves out of Angus cows?  Have you confirmed he is not a diluter gene carrier?  Diluter gene carriers can produce rat tail calves and that is a big no no.
The biggest stumbling block to even fullblood guys using him is that he is 100 Euros per straw.  That converts over to around $ 134.00 USD.  Most people on this website won't use a bull  that costs more than $20.00 a straw.
Do you have any plans to listing your bulls with a North American stud?  It might be a good idea.

gary89

cattleboy said:

I would try Remington Red Label.