Best shade tree by cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ms Ray

We need to plant a few shade trees, I want to make sure they are not poisonous to cattle, also looking for a fast growing tree, and suggestions would be great  oh we are on the west coast if that helps

kfacres

oaks, no matter where you are, you can't go wrong with... 

You might check with you local extension, as even I who have a degree in forestry, can't be much help to you, since I live in IL.

I can tell you there are very few trees that are poisionous to animals.. A few more that are threatening to humans, but not very many in general.  There are far more shrubs.

Just a side note- you better keep a fence around the trees for their duration of life, other wise the cattle will kill them. 

husker1

I am not a tree expert, but the Aus Trees are very fast growing and make good shade trees.  They are not the cleanest trees, and not the prettiest, but they can make shade fast.  Plenty of people don't like them, but they do grow in a hurry.  I think they are a hybrid between a cottonwood and a willow, or something of the sort.  Good shade in a couple years.

Bulldaddy

Avoid oaks trees at all costs.  Acorns are toxic to cattle.  A few acorns are okay but some cattle seem to love acorns and eat too many resulting in damaged kidneys.  Affected animals may survive but they are thin and unthrifty. 

oakie

Bulldaddy said:
Avoid oaks trees at all costs.  Acorns are toxic to cattle.  A few acorns are okay but some cattle seem to love acorns and eat too many resulting in damaged kidneys.  Affected animals may survive but they are thin and unthrifty.   

We have them and they give the horses chiggers....not sure about cows. If you live along a creek you can use some alders, they grow really quick. Maples seem to grow well also (I live in the same area).  Also heard bamboo works but have never tried it.

oakview

We have a timber pasture full of oaks.  We have not had any problems in over 40 years other than an occasional calf getting a little loose from most likely eating some acorns.  I have heard of people losing cattle, though, from overdosing on them.  I would highly recommend avoiding locust trees and multiflora rose.

JSchroeder

Around here, the saying is these make by far and away the best shade for profitable cattle herds...
oil.pump.500.jpg

kfacres

Bulldaddy said:
Avoid oaks trees at all costs.  Acorns are toxic to cattle.  A few acorns are okay but some cattle seem to love acorns and eat too many resulting in damaged kidneys.  Affected animals may survive but they are thin and unthrifty.  

I don't agree with this, actually I'll refrain from commenting further on it, as I don't want to get people upset over my words...  

Anything is toxic if consumed in large ammounts. Hell corn is toxic if consumed in large ammounts, do people put corn in their cattle pastures?- grass can also be toxic!  Water can be toxic, even a teaspoon of it down the wrong pipe.  Acorns are not toxic to animals, but they can give humans a stomach ache.  Actually, if you want to get down to it, apples are one of the most toxic things available to people---  YOU ever ate an apple?  

Ever seen a thin, unthrifty deer eating acorns?  

Cottonwoods would make very fast shade, but they are extremely prone to lightening strike.  I'd guess you don't want that...
If you can grow maples in your area, which you should, they would be about the best option..  something like a silver, very widespreading, fast growing, and not tall.

In searching for a tree, you are going to want something of medium height, and wide spread.  This increases shade, while still being able to keep your tree fenced in to protect and lengthen it's lifespan...  and it reduces lightning strike potential.  Like I already said, I'm not familiar with the trees of the west coast, but if you were in IL, I'd be able to  give you a list longer than you'd like. 

garybob

the truth said:
Bulldaddy said:
Avoid oaks trees at all costs.  Acorns are toxic to cattle.  A few acorns are okay but some cattle seem to love acorns and eat too many resulting in damaged kidneys.  Affected animals may survive but they are thin and unthrifty.  

I don't agree with this, actually I'll refrain from commenting further on it, as I don't want to get people upset over my words...  

Anything is toxic if consumed in large ammounts. Hell corn is toxic if consumed in large ammounts, do people put corn in their cattle pastures?- grass can also be toxic!  Water can be toxic, even a teaspoon of it down the wrong pipe.  Acorns are not toxic to animals, but they can give humans a stomach ache.  Actually, if you want to get down to it, apples are one of the most toxic things available to people---  YOU ever ate an apple?  

Ever seen a thin, unthrifty deer eating acorns?  

Cottonwoods would make very fast shade, but they are extremely prone to lightening strike.  I'd guess you don't want that...
If you can grow maples in your area, which you should, they would be about the best option..  something like a silver, very widespreading, fast growing, and not tall.

In searching for a tree, you are going to want something of medium height, and wide spread.  This increases shade, while still being able to keep your tree fenced in to protect and lengthen it's lifespan...  and it reduces lightning strike potential.  Like I already said, I'm not familiar with the trees of the west coast, but if you were in IL, I'd be able to  give you a list longer than you'd like. 
Stay away from Wild Cherry. The wilted leaves are Toxic as a bullet. GB

Bulldaddy

I am sure your intentions are good but "the truth" is wrong when it comes to acorn poisoning.  My comments are based on first hand knowledge but do a little research and I am sure you will agree with me on this one.  Here is a link to some good information on the subject:  http://www.thecattlesite.com/diseaseinfo/195/acorn-poisoning  There are lots of good shade trees for cattle and there is no reason to take a chance with oak trees.  By the way, acorns are not toxic to deer or hogs.

Cattledog

Forget about the toxicity of the Oak tree.  If you want something that's fast growing the oak has already taken itself out of the running.

kfacres

Bulldaddy said:
I am sure your intentions are good but "the truth" is wrong when it comes to acorn poisoning.  My comments are based on first hand knowledge but do a little research and I am sure you will agree with me on this one.  Here is a link to some good information on the subject:  http://www.thecattlesite.com/diseaseinfo/195/acorn-poisoning  There are lots of good shade trees for cattle and there is no reason to take a chance with oak trees.  By the way, acorns are not toxic to deer or hogs.

Like I said, corn can poison them as well.. and from what I've read on overeating..  the same conditions are present.

In the long term, oak trees are best shade, IMO- again from a forestry degree holder.  There are plenty of other faster growing options out there, but some oaks are fairly fast growing for their own rights.  

Again, do as you wish, but I won't be descriminating against oak trees in  our pastures. 

knabe

i planted some oak trees.  one a black oak is about as big around as my pinky after 8 years and is about a foot high.  a valley oak i cut off with a mower is the biggest tree i have.  squirrels seem to do a good job eating any acorns.  i also trimmed the oaks up high and have them fenced off.

i think in cherries, there is a worm that gets in the leaves that is toxic to cattle.  i planted some locust and trimmed them up high.  i planted them for lumber for my dad to turn on the lathe as it's beautiful wood.  also planted osage orange for the same reason.

i also planted some redwoods and so far, they are the best shade/windbreak.  they probably won't last as the roots don't go deep enough.

farmboy

we have big oaks and hollows and those small creek trees. I think pine trees could be of benefit if you got the time. I know weeping willows grow pretty fast and can get plenty big enough, are they poisonous wilters?

kfacres

knabe said:
i planted some oak trees.  one a black oak is about as big around as my pinky after 8 years and is about a foot high.  a valley oak i cut off with a mower is the biggest tree i have.  squirrels seem to do a good job eating any acorns.  i also trimmed the oaks up high and have them fenced off.

i think in cherries, there is a worm that gets in the leaves that is toxic to cattle.  i planted some locust and trimmed them up high.  i planted them for lumber for my dad to turn on the lathe as it's beautiful wood.  also planted osage orange for the same reason.

i also planted some redwoods and so far, they are the best shade/windbreak.  they probably won't last as the roots don't go deep enough.

what is the black's enviroment?  They love sand, and moist/ well drained soil.  never heard of valley oak. honey locust w/o thorns are great trees,

speaking of hedge..  they were the trees back in the day.. those little thorns can be a pain though.

redwood is the fastest growing tree, but without the constant fog found on the far west ocean coast.. they might not last long

kfacres

knabe said:

I just remembered, I forgot to comment on the cherries.  The cherries, as with almost everything in the Rosaceae family are toxic in some form or another.  Pretty much everything, if not everything that I know of contain cyanide somewhere within.  In the cherries, its in the wilted leaves, and in the apples- seeds.  A cup of apple seeds contains enough in it to kill a horse.  Better not plant any apple trees in there bulldaddy, or you might get apple poisoning. 

knabe

the truth said:
redwood is the fastest growing tree, but without the constant fog found on the far west ocean coast.. they might not last long

i'm right on the edge of a fog bank that squeaks up a canyon.  it gets hot about 2 weeks out of the year.  i haven't watered them in about 4 years except for the one's that probably didn't get a hole dug good enough.  the one's that are in the seasonal creek are doing well.  they are great as a wind break dust (top soil) grabber.