best way to "get ears" on photos?

Help Support Steer Planet:

OSC

What props, etc do you find are the best ways to get ears during picture taking especially on younger animals?

Thank you

K_State_Katy

Depends on how flighty the animal is. Sometimes just lifting your hands is enough on a nervous calf, baughling like a calf or making bull noises helps. a hat on a show stick works well. then anything flashy for a really dead headed calf. I suggest a veriety of props, start with the simplest one then move up depending on how the calf reacts. Hope that helps. and remember there is no such thing as embarassing when it comes to getting ears anything goes  O0

vc

Surveyor's ribbon on the end of a showstick works well.

shortyjock89

Put a cat or dog like 20 yards in front of the calf, and then bawl at the calf to get its attention.

bcosu

whatever can get their attention really.

when we picture without halters, crawling towards them when they are walking in and then standing up and reaching to the sky works almost every time. kinda like a predator-prey natural instinct i think.

odd noises or flashy stuff may work well too.

jyoticse804

I had no idea about it. But I come to know about it from these posts. So, thank you very much..

Cattle7

We have one guy that always goes to shows with us. He is part of our "crew" & when we go to the banner he just stands in front of the calf. Never fails. Works everytime. He is a little ugly! Lol :)

justintime

I have had to picture a bunch of cattle by myself on occasion. I have had real good luck with hanging a romote control animal caller on the end fence in the picture pen. My neighbour is an avid hunter and has several of them. The one I have found that seems to work the best makes the sound of a crying rabbit. All I usually have to do is get the animal I am picturing standing good and push the remote button that hangs on my belt. Almost everytime the animal's head comes up and the ears go ahead. Snap your pictures and then allow the animal to move around the pen and then try it once more, to make sure you have a good useable picture.

shortyjock89

justintime said:
I have had to picture a bunch of cattle by myself on occasion. I have had real good luck with hanging a romote control animal caller on the end fence in the picture pen. My neighbour is an avid hunter and has several of them. The one I have found that seems to work the best makes the sound of a crying rabbit. All I usually have to do is get the animal I am picturing standing good and push the remote button that hangs on my belt. Almost everytime the animal's head comes up and the ears go ahead. Snap your pictures and then allow the animal to move around the pen and then try it once more, to make sure you have a good useable picture.

Genius. I don't know why I haven't though to try this before.