Best Ways To grow Hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

Becs

Hi there, i have a small herd of black angus and crossbred calves we have a little show string but id like to see more hair on them any suggesions?

shortyjock89

Rinse rinse, brush, brush, blow, blow, fans. repeat repeat repeat =  O0  O0  O0

Well, that and genetics  :D

shortyjock89

That's good for a little bit, but you can make them hot in the summer time by doing that for too long, and some calves get weird bumps and irritations on their skin from it too.  Blowing them also stimulates the skin and promotes hair growth. 

Dusty

Hair is about 75% genetic, 25% enviroment it seems.  Thats why those stout shaggy haired ones bring 30K.  If you don't have the genetics to start with you won't have hair.  So basically if you've got good genetics.  Rinse alot, keep the hair/hide clean.  Brush and blow them a couple times a day.  In the summer keep them in about 55degrees and completely dark.  Don't kick them out until its dark and put them in while it's still dark.  If they never see daylight you can trick their body into thinking it is winter time and they will grow more hair.

shortyjock89

Completely agree, that's what we try to do.  Won't spend 30k on anything right now, but if we did, it would need to have at least some hair, it's what wins.

shortdawg

Genetics, genetics, genetics ! I'm in S. GA and the heat and humidity is tough down here yet we still have some calves that have hair all year long. Some may confuse rinsing and washing, I think too much soap is not good for them. We wash only once a week but rinse a lot.

TJ

shortdawg said:
Genetics, genetics, genetics ! I'm in S. GA and the heat and humidity is tough down here yet we still have some calves that have hair all year long. Some may confuse rinsing and washing, I think too much soap is not good for them. We wash only once a week but rinse a lot.

My cousin had a Kadabra steer that had an insane amount of hair for the summertime.  No rinising or fans or coolers were needed with him.  I had lots of fun fitting & clipping him.  I even fed him cooked corn for 45 days before the State Fair & he still had a good amount of hair.     

Rocky Hill Simmental

I agree, genetics are the main thing that makes them grow hair. Around here nobody's crazy about hair so I never tried to grow it long.. it just comes out that way on some calves. All I do is brush and rinse them. I have a friend from IL and she said that over there a judge will hardly even look at a calf if it doesn't have hair though.

showgirl

I'm in florida and genetics play a BIG part into keeping hair down here.. I had a steer last year that I kept hair on him year around and amazingly never really sheded any of his hair..I rinsed,blew him dry everyday and he was under turbo fans 24/7 and he had misters if it was REALLY hott. I only would wash with soap once a week..

Becs said:
Hi there, i have a small herd of black angus and crossbred calves we have a little show string but id like to see more hair on them any suggesions?

bcosu

rinse them to cool down hotspots like the brisket then brush them in front of fans. After doing that for a while then blow them out

Alexjung13

The best way to grow hair without a cooler is to rinse at least twice a day, and keep them out of the sun and under fans. this is what i do and it works great. you don't need to use fancy hair growing product. If you do this it is bound to work.