Best Working Chute

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

I am looking at purchasing a new chute for working cattle, AI'ing, vaccinating, and clipping a few "not quite show broke" cattle. Am leaning toward a palco or stronghold chute with a formost head catch. So what is everyone's opinion on the best chute and the best chute for the money. (YA know money is ALWAYS an issue!!) :)

red

we have a Piefert (sp?) Really like it. It has held up very well. It has the self catching but don't use that lot unless really short handed.
Red

genes

The University's farm has one called "The Silencer" :D and it really has everything.  But then I think they might have had a little more in the budget than your average Joe.....

DL

Hey Show Heifer - you have probably seen more working chutes than most, and I don't know exactly what you are looking for (ie squeeze no squeeze/self catch -manual catch etc) but I love my chute - it was basically custom made set of gates and panels (steel) with a straight manual head catch - the chute itself has top and bottom panels that open - and it was more economical than many of those pre made. There is a group in MI and IN that make these particular set ups, and I know of others who have had their chutes made .....just another thought! DL (cow)

red

That's really a good idea DL, then you could have it the way you wanted it. There is a group in my county that also builds equipment. I'm looking through the papers to find their ad.
Red

DL

Oh not sure I agree GB - everybody tried to talk me into a self catch - I stood firm - they thought I was nuts. I don't have a cow that goes thru the chute with enough umph to get caught. I send 'em thru the chute as calves, I feed 'em in the chute, I halter 'em in the chute - my cows "fight" to get into the chute because they think it is a good thing.

Depends on what bovine is in the chute - with my cows a self catch would never work and I would get old even faster trying to push 'em to get caught!  (cow) DL

red

we just never have had great sucess w/ the self catch chute. I guess some of my fatties are too wide to get into the chute anyway, we just AI them in the pen's alley way. One cow is so good she was AI just haltered up & tied. Makes it nice when ther're former show heifers!

Red

ELBEE

We have a whole fleet of the Preifert non self catch head gates, all the way from antique to brand new (yes you can still buy a Priefert non self catch). The older ones have to be modified for heavyer or med. large frame cows. They can get stuck, take my word for it. Nice thing about a Preifert, the handel puts you behind the animals shoulder, and they'er realitivly quiet.

red

ELBEE said:
We have a whole fleet of the Preifert non self catch head gates, all the way from antique to brand new (yes you can still buy a Priefert non self catch). The older ones have to be modified for heavyer or med. large frame cows. They can get stuck, take my word for it. Nice thing about a Preifert, the handel puts you behind the animals shoulder, and they'er realitivly quiet.

Yep, that's what we have & it's almost humerous getting one stuck! :))) how did you modify yours?

Red

knabe

I'm not claiming best chute.  major limitation for me was shipping cost and what was available locally as well as time.  i purchased a powderriver self catch.  i adjust the head gate carefully so they sniff their head in and so they think they can't run through and i also have it near the back of my barn so hopefully they don't think they can just run through.  sometimes when i'm by myself, i close the front, get them in front of the rear gate, close it and open the front, or dont' even do that for pour on's etc.  trying to get them used to it like mentioned above on another reply to feed them in there occassionally as this is my AI chute.  a little problem there, and i do have the preg check "gate" is the restricted access offered by the chute at the area of interest without opening the rear gate on the chute.  cost money.  only complaint is that my cow had twins, and i was paranoid that calves were not getting up so i milked her and it was difficult to tie here rear leg.  now that i saw the "no-kick" tool, i'll try that.  any tips for that?  gotta say, the instructions were kinda poor.  they need a logistics person to go over the manual with a newbie.