BEST

Help Support Steer Planet:

fluffer

For you Ohio Folks- the first BEST show is just a few weeks away.  How many of ya are planning to show this year??

My nephue has a few Shorthorn steers he may show a little (don't worry, they aren't world beaters- just fun projects)  We also have a couple of Gelbvieh, Gelbvieh 1/2 bloods a friend of ours may show a little in the heifer show as AOB's.

fluffer

Nobody...Really???

Well, while I am in here, I will tell you about my last 24 hours.  Started out my Hubby and I and our 1 year old were heading home.  Got a call that calves were out.  We turn around and head for the farm where our calves are (about 30 min from home) get there and sure enough 14 of them had some how climbed through the fence.  Of course 5 were pretty quiet, 5 were high headed, and 4 weren't sure what they were.  Keeping them together and trying to work them towards the gate to get them back in failed.  They took off and ran through I don't know how many cornfield, woods, etc.  Thank goodness my sister-in-law came and got our 1 year old about an hour into the drama.  Somehow, my hubby (on foot) managed to get around the calves when they stopped to eat in a waterway.  He got them headed back the right direction.  I caught up with them in the truck and some how we worked them back up and managed to get them back in, even in the dark.  Needless to say we are going to church sunday  ;)  Then this morning I had to get an Upper GI- that was horrible  :p- Then this afternoon we palpd cows.  ONLY 1 OPEN out of 75.  (clapping)  That is pretty awesome, at least we think.  Especially with the draught this year.  Anyways, on the 2nd cow the headchute broke.  If the cows put any pressure on it it would spring open and let the cow out.  SO I had to hang on the handle of the headgate for every cow.  I will be sore tomorrow.  But, on the bright side, we have tickets to the OSU Wisconsin game tomorrow.  GO BUCKS!!!! ;D

farmboy

gzzz....ohio state is exceeding everybodys expectations from last year and preseason, i second that~ go bucks!~

fluffer

dori36 said:
Full day/night, fer sure!  On this:  <<Upper GI- that was horrible >>  Oh, no, a lower GI is MUCH worse!!    (lol)

That is what I hear!  Having my wisdom teeth cut out is still the worst thing I have ever been through (and I have had a baby) and the GI was the 2nd worse.

I don't knwo what GI stands for, but it is to check the upper part of your digestion system.  In my case it was to check for acid reflux.

BUCKEYS are hanging in there.  Played ok today...could have been a little better, but a W is a W!  If we can beat Michigan I think we will see you all at New Orleans  ;)

OH Breeder

Fluffer,
Hey- we will probably have three heifers, one Chi, one Shorthorn Plus and one SHorthorn. Leaving the green steers at home for now. The Lima show has always had a big turn out. I think there was 500 or so there last year. We are looking forward to it. The weather is always a gamble. Sometimes warm and nice then has been cold and rainy. I am hoping for the prior.Goodluck with your stock.

fluffer

OH Breeder said:
Fluffer,
Hey- we will probably have three heifers, one Chi, one Shorthorn Plus and one SHorthorn. Leaving the green steers at home for now. The Lima show has always had a big turn out. I think there was 500 or so there last year. We are looking forward to it. The weather is always a gamble. Sometimes warm and nice then has been cold and rainy. I am hoping for the prior.Goodluck with your stock.

YEah, that show is good, but always a gamble on the weather.  Plus it is so close to the NAILE that sometimes we are just too worn down.  We aren't going to NAILE this year though, so we are planning on heading up if the weather is ok.  Also leaving the green steer at home.

shortyjock89

I plan on being at Lima with a Shorthorn heifer that I raised along with an Appendix heifer and possibly a Maintainer heifer. I hope the weather is good, and I hope to see you there 

char

we will be there for sure....my daughter has a chi steer and the other has a shorthorn plus steer and not sure how many heifers we are taking....one i think will be chi and the other a maintainer....always love that show...lets just hope the weather is as nice as last year.... (clapping)

fluffer

Sounds like there will be a lot of shorthorn steers out and about this year.  I wish you all luck!  Ours won't be real competitive, just a good sound steer.  He is loaded with muscle and real sound, but he just doesn't have the style and hair that I know most shorthorns usuall carry.  Our other shorthorn has the hair and style but is green and has a lot of attitude yet.  He may not make his big trip out until expo.  Hope to see you all at the shows this year.  I also wish all the Junior exhibitors the best of luck.  HARD WORK ALWAYS PAYS OFF!!! (clapping)