Bidder fraud at Vicklands online sale?

Help Support Steer Planet:

rmbcows

I'm starting to think you have a real problem with online sales, Still.  Maybe you might want to stay away from them.  (lol)  The Online Cattle Auction Conspiracy Theory...  it's all ours right here on the Planet!  Coming soon to a website near you!!    <rock>

NSF

what is it with you and bidder fraud? did you get burned(or think you did)? or is it a jealousy thing where if people sell cattle for good money they OBVIOUSLY must be jacking with the bids?

GoWyo

The sale site actually says it is rescheduled due to bidder fraud.  Still Tryin was merely pointing out a fact.

AndersenClubCalves

Very interesting deal right there the top two animals in the sale were both at 12,000 both have been dropped lower now. makes a person think again before placing a bid on a calf in an online sale but then again there can be fraud in any sale a person goes to wether phone bids, live auctions, etc. Private treaty is the way to go if your a buyer.

cwbyup62

The auction was suspended due to the fact that one buyer, that had never been there to see the cattle, and was known by noone associated with the sale continually was bidding on virtually all of the cattle, often bumping his own bid. After some research, this particular bidder has a very questionable past according to several people in the business.  A decision had to be made as to what to do and that decision was to made to suspend the auction temporarily and continue it as soon as it could be done.  The feelings were that it was not fair to the legitimate bidders to be bidding against this person, when in all reality it was questionable what the intentions of this bidder really were.  This bidder has been traced to other purchases where there have been problems on finalizing the purchases that they have made.  CW Sales and the Vickland family wished to keep the auction as fair to the real bidders as possible, so it is a bad situation that they are trying to make the best of.  The bottom line is that both CW and Vicklands are going to sell these cattle to the highest bidders in the fairest way possible and they will be for sale.  Having spoke with Dan and Todd about this tonight, this matter may very well be forwarded to the legal authorities to be investigated.  This person has already got problems with "purchased" cattle from other sales, and evidently those merchandisers are going to do what they have to do legally.  

For those of you who do not "trust" these auctions, you need to realize that all of them may not be perfect, but most of you who doubt these sales, doubt everything else in the business too.  It all comes down to the integrity of the business and the integrity of who you want to deal with.  If you do not believe in these auctions, don't bid, noone is forcing you to bid.  If you are not going to bid in these, you would not go to that producer or traders place to buy one anyhow, so what difference does it make.  Quit complaining, move on and do business somewhere else, there are only about 10,000 club calf producers in America so go buy from so go buy from  someone you want to deal with, but please kill the petty remarks about people that you probably don't even know.

If you have any questions about this auction, or any of the others, the phone numbers are openly shown on the sale site, call and discuss it with the people really involved and do not read inuendo.  They will welcome your calls.

Mark Sneed

cwbyup62

I should have also added that the reason the bids were dropped was because this bidders previous bids were simply eliminated from the auction so that noone would have been bidding against his potentially phony bids.  The only reason they came down was so that it was fair for the people really bidding, I am not sure how much fairer you can be about a situation.

Mark

cwbyup62

Not a problem, I hope that explains the situation somewhat.  I also forgot to mention that this bidders previous buying through sales was with another marketer and not with CW.  It is a shame that this sort of thing happens, but it certainly has nothing to do with the integrity of any of the marketers involved.

Still Tryin

rmbcows said:
I'm starting to think you have a real problem with online sales, Still.  Maybe you might want to stay away from them.   (lol)   The Online Cattle Auction Conspiracy Theory...  it's all ours right here on the Planet!  Coming soon to a website near you!!    <rock>
HaHa, no, I was really just interested in peoples opinions on them. Kind of weird that I posted that a few days ago and then something happens in one of them. I am glad that they are getting the situation straightened out. I agree that you have to go into it with a price in mind and if it goes over that, there are plenty of other steers looking for a home.
We haven't participated in one yet, but it is becoming more difficult to NOT participate.

rmbcows

Still Tryin said:
We haven't participated in one yet, but it is becoming more difficult to NOT participate.

Gotta agree with you on that one!!  My shopping list would be long from some of the sales I've looked at lately.  It  is somewhat like looking at a well illustrated cookbook when you're on a diet! 
I have bid before, but my pockets have never been deep enough.  I will way this, I believe online sales will gain popularity.  It allows you to participate in auctions you would not have been able to if you had to be there in the flesh,  two or three auctions at once?  This could be fun.

twistedhshowstock

Hmmm...if this bidder has done this before and it seems to be a running problem with them. Any chance on the rest of us finding out who it is so we can be cautious???  I understand not wanting to air someones business and all, but heck even businesses post information when someone continuously writes bad checks. They do it to help their fellow businessman keep from getting ripped off.  So I think in this situation it would grant the same courtesy if the parties involved are willing.

Bulldaddy

This can happen to anybody with any auction or sale format.  It just happened to be the Vicklands and an online sale.  I am glad they figured out what was going on before the sale was over.  Hope they hang the culprit high!

iowabeef

If this individual has proven to be a problem, hopefully the on-line auction site can put a block on this individual registering for a bidding number. They could probably still find a way around it but at least it is a start to cleaning up the problem.

starz20

I think the culprit's name needs to be out there for the unspecting club calf seller.  I know who it is, but I will not say if I will get in trouble for it.  This happened several years back with a fella named Daniel O'Quinn or Daniel Quinn and no one talked to anyone until he had scammed alot of people.  His name needs to be out there, especially this time of year.  Just my opinion as always.

STEER_1981

I agree that the culprit should be made public for the protection of others.  On the bright side, for the Vickland family, this controversy has created a lot of free advertisement for their sale.  I hope that it works out for them in the end.

shortii

I agree!!!! this persons name needs to be posted. Obviously this person is a crook and has no respect for anybody in the cattle industry.

MCC

This is a touchy subject and I tried not to post but I have been burned and decided to give my two cents worth. A few years ago I took a heifer to a sale and didn't get her sold. A gentleman I didn't know approached me about leasing her for 6 months for his girlfriends daughter to show. My cousin was there and had sold him calves and said he had never had a problem with him. The guy gave me a check for what we agreed she was worth for collateral. I never saw the heifer again nor the guy. Check bounced. Talked to one of his friends and found out he sold the heifer for twice the amount of the check. Later I found out he had ripped off several other people and was on the run. Been in this business since 1976 and that's the only bad deal I've had (Thank goodness ) but times are changing and I think the BAD apples need to be weeded out before they cost other people. With that said, everyone needs a chance to rectify a situation if they can before they are drug through the mud. Just my opinion.