big enough??

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

We had a company come in and blow foam insulation, you get a much higher R value without the bulk.

BCCC

Jill said:
We had a company come in and blow foam insulation, you get a much higher R value without the bulk.
How thick did you make?? we have a guy here in town that does that

Jill

We did 552 sq ft of 2" foam sprayed right to the wall-wood and metal for 607.20, that has been 2 years ago so the price may have gone up by now, but it was the most economical way for what you got at that point.

40yrold4her

In the above post from BCCC melatonin implants was mentioned, Could you please give me more information on this product I would think it would be alot easier than giving it orally every day.
Thanks,

BCCC

they are expenisice, google them, they are for ferrets, but some people swaer by them. I am going to try them on two of my heifers

reno1014

I have heard yall mention a cement or concrete floor.  Do calves not get lame on concrete?  I was wanting to put more concrete
in our barn but havent because I didnt know if it would effect there walking and soundness. 

BCCC

YEs if you leave cattle on cement, they will get stiff, the coolers are cement so they will drain, but then they have a bunch of bedding on top of the cement

sawboss

My cool room is lined with 3/4"x4'x6' horse stall mats to ease the stress of being on cement.  On top of this I have 8" of shavings, for the most part the calves spend most of the day laying down.  I keep them tied to the low rail as if they were stalled at a show.

Jill

Ditto to Sawboss, we use cedar fiber instead of shavings, varies from 6"-2' depending on the slope area.

BCCC

well I went to an auction and I ended up with 4 water/swamp coolers, for under 5 dollars (thumbsup)