BIG spring calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

WCC

It seems that breeders across the southwest have been having larger than normal calves this spring and not breed specific.  We have have 9 out of 8 Northern Improvement calves weighing 105-120. Hard pulls and an Ali Calf taken out the side of a heifer three days ago weighing 120.  He's up and alive doing well considering the stress of it all.  Strangely enough we had a heifer calve yesterday at a wooping 60 pounds.  We have had large calves int he past twenty years but nothing as odd as the heifer calving problems we have  had this spring. 

Has anyone else experienced this strange occurrence this spring too?

red

WCC, we've had some big ones here too & some moderate size. Our big red cow, who is out of a full brother to Black Dice had a 120 pound heifer. She did have it unassisted. The rest here have been in the 80's.
The farm has had some dozy's this year. They've pulled a couple of 150 pounders. WOW! The others have been in the 100-120 pound range. We had a fairly mild winter here until the last couple of weeks. Very wet.
What are your main genetics?

Red

WCC

We have  reg. herfs and  maine composite females. Several Jack Frost cows that have great udders,  A hand full of Bulllet Simi influenced cows, and the balance are maine, angus, simi composites.    We have had a mild winter and then the extreme bitter cold temps all in the same year.  Strange weather patterns the past few years. 

red said:
WCC, we've had some big ones here too & some moderate size. Our big red cow, who is out of a full brother to Black Dice had a 120 pound heifer. She did have it unassisted. The rest here have been in the 80's.
The farm has had some dozy's this year. They've pulled a couple of 150 pounders. WOW! The others have been in the 100-120 pound range. We had a fairly mild winter here until the last couple of weeks. Very wet.
What are your main genetics?

Red

red

WCC- how have calves been looking all around? quality been pretty good? I've found that generally my best calves are born in the 85- 90 pound range. I do have a really great boned, nice structured Cowboy Cut heifer that was 120. Really a pretty color pattern on her. Black w/ some white ubderneath & a white spot on her hip. Flashy!
We have a Meyer's heifer that is out of Gail Force 23. She is very leggy. Need to downsize her. Great bones & shape. Great disposition too. I'm planning on using Money Man on her but since you seem to know simmi's any other suggestions?

Red

DL

WCC said:
It seems that breeders across the southwest have been having larger than normal calves this spring and not breed specific.  We have have 9 out of 8 Northern Improvement calves weighing 105-120. Hard pulls and an Ali Calf taken out the side of a heifer three days ago weighing 120.  He's up and alive doing well considering the stress of it all.  Strangely enough we had a heifer calve yesterday at a wooping 60 pounds.  We have had large calves int he past twenty years but nothing as odd as the heifer calving problems we have  had this spring. 

Has anyone else experienced this strange occurrence this spring too?

OH WCC I HOPE NOT!!!
My cows have averaged 93.5 this year (to date) but my only heifer to calve so far had (unassisted bless her heart) a 98 lb heifer 14 days early (to AI date)....have more heifers bred to the same "calving ease bull" and to Northern Improvement (first time I've used an Angus bull ---- could be the last!)
Wet and soggy here -inducing heifer tonight - will keep you posted....DL

red

Some guys from my county that run about 250 cows had nightmares a couple of years ago w/ NI calves on first calf heifers. They were debating at one time if the semen was correct because they told me " the calves look like Maines". Never heard anymore if they DNA tested them or not. But they were pulling calves like crazy & lost some heifer too.
Red

cowz

I cant help but wonder if the severe weather has had something to do with it.  It seems that everyone you talk to has the same trend.

Could it be that as the cow's bodies experience wind chill that they react by protecting the core body temperature by concentrating extra blood flow to the internal organs, and ultimately offer the fetus more nutrition??

DL

red said:
Some guys from my county that run about 250 cows had nightmares a couple of years ago w/ NI calves on first calf heifers. They were debating at one time if the semen was correct because they told me " the calves look like Maines". Never heard anymore if they DNA tested them or not. But they were pulling calves like crazy & lost some heifer too.
Red
:'( Thanks red that sure cheered me up!

Jill

I figured up our average this morning, we are at 91.4.  We really don't have a middle ground we have the 60's and the 100's

red

Sorry- this was about two years ago so maybe if there was a mix-up it's been corrected. ???
I know- it's a crap shot sometimes on these bulls & heifers!

go click on the Easter thing- it will brighten your day.

Red

red

Jill said:
I figured up our average this morning, we are at 91.4.  We really don't have a middle ground we have the 60's and the 100's

You know it just takes a couple of big ones to blow your average! I figured it up & we are at 92.75 pounds. That 120 pounder sure got it up fast!!

Red

red

Now at 92.0 pound average. Not bad for us w/ our Maines.
I'm like you though Jill, no middle ground; either really big or low 80's. For us low 80's is small!  ???
I have 2 more to go but not until May & June.
Farm still has about 30 to calve. These are the older cows.

Red
(cow)

Show Heifer

I'm from Iowa and we had a pretty cold winter (we had over a week of 0 or lower temps several times).
My calves have been large too. I had a TC Freedom born at 70, but everything else has been over 90, with several 110+. But only pulled one, which was a first calf heifer due to Lut...had other Luts just fine.
Haven't figured my average but I am guessing over 100. BUT....last year I bought a limi bull (going back to my roots!! ;D and he is a GROWTH bull,  not exactly calving ease. His calves are large, but even the 100 ers out of heifers slide out with no problems.
Had a population explosion the last several days, and went from having 8 calves, to having 17. So far all is well, despite the rain and mud. 
Hey DL, relax on the NI calves....for the most part I have heard good calving reports, unless they are bred to maine cows!!! :eek:  Just kidding! ;D

justme

We have maines here in NW Missouri.  Right now we are at 9 bulls and 1 heifer all but 2 bulls are Hard Cores.  We are now averaging 75.5 pounds and that's ok with me!  We didn't grain the cows as hard as we use to so I think that has something to do with it.  Boy the Hard Core's are the fastest calves we've ever had to get up and nurse....its been great.  They are also taking off quickly...born small but wow do they get thick quick.

Just my 2 cents...now I am just praying for some heifers so my daughter has one to show next year lol. (pop)

DL

Show Heifer said:
I'm from Iowa and we had a pretty cold winter (we had over a week of 0 or lower temps several times).
My calves have been large too. I had a TC Freedom born at 70, but everything else has been over 90, with several 110+. But only pulled one, which was a first calf heifer due to Lut...had other Luts just fine.
Haven't figured my average but I am guessing over 100. BUT....last year I bought a limi bull (going back to my roots!! ;D and he is a GROWTH bull,  not exactly calving ease. His calves are large, but even the 100 ers out of heifers slide out with no problems.
Had a population explosion the last several days, and went from having 8 calves, to having 17. So far all is well, despite the rain and mud. 
Hey DL, relax on the NI calves....for the most part I have heard good calving reports, unless they are bred to maine cows!!! :eek:  Just kidding! ;D

72 pound bull calf spit out by a hiefer - all is  well in mitten land! Awaiting my NI calf - the hiefer is a Payoff out of a Patent x Strutt - I am telling her she is a Limi - she is trying to be snotty (sorry Show Heifer, old limi blood!! ;D ;D Do you think that will work?! DL