Big surprise when castrating, UGH!

Help Support Steer Planet:

inthebarnagain

Imagine my surprise when I was checking the package on the 7 month old calf that we had decided to keep as a bull calf and discovered that he only has one testicle down!!!!!  The worst part is the other testicle is above the inguinal ring so there was absolutely no chance of still cutting him then and there and getting the other one down, it isn't even accessible without cutting up on his abdomen which is a job for a vet with anesthesia. 

The thing is, if he would be castrated he would be a cracker jack steer, we just have no vet around that could do it, just small animal around here. 

My question is, because it has been too long since I have worked for a vet, does that pass from the bull or cow side?  I can't remember.

Question #2-  Anyone want a steer that can be registered as a chi or simmi at market price???  All you would have to have is a good vet to castrate him!

Bulldaddy

I had this pop up before and my vet said it would be too risky to try and castrate a bull calf with retained testicles.  You are kind of stuck since he can't be sold as either a bull or a steer. 

OH Breeder

Ohio State only charges $200 odd something in and out with a short hospital stay for inguinal castration.  It is cheaper than you think if the calf is worth it? SEnd me a pic if you can ITB.