Big Tongue

Help Support Steer Planet:

P-F

Had a calf real big calf born this morning, cow had it by herself,  found it about dead, warmed it up and now it looks like it will make it but its tongue is so swollen and hangs out of its mouth.  You guys ever had any experience like this when the swelling goes down will it work normal, or did we just save a calf who won't ever be able to nurse.

fluffer

Funny, we had one this morning too.  Had to milk out the cow this morning and tube the calf to get colostrum into the calf and the calf couldn't suck cause of his tongue.  Tonight we milked the cow out again and the calf was going nuts trying to take the bottle but his tongue was still too big for him to suck.  We helped him get the milk out of the bottle and even after a full bottle in his belly he was still going nuts and went after momma too. Don't think he could nurse her though.  We gave him dexamehazone(sp) for swelling.  Banimine will work too, but we were fresh out so he got dex.

Good luck.

Fluffer

OH Breeder

PF
it takes a bit, but much like humans he probably had it sticking out during a hard delivery. We have had this happen. The swelling will go down but may take a bit. Sometimes you have to bottle feed usually this helps and stimulates circulation. When circulation returns to normal and the congestion in the tissues is removed the swelling  should go down. I have seen in rare cases where the tongue actually "died" due to lack of blood flow. If the tongue does not turn black then he should be okay. Just have to make sure the bugger eats.

kanshow

Give him a few days.  Make sure he gets enough to eat - probably by tubing him.  Ask your vet but think this is a case where dex really does the trick. 

OH Breeder

One more thing. I have also seen vets inject the tongue is swelling is not going down. Check with your vet if things are working.

cattlejunky

P-F said:
Had a calf real big calf born this morning, cow had it by herself,  found it about dead, warmed it up and now it looks like it will make it but its tongue is so swollen and hangs out of its mouth.  You guys ever had any experience like this when the swelling goes down will it work normal, or did we just save a calf who won't ever be able to nurse.

I know we have given calves that have had a hard delivery a shot of banamine to help with swelling.  We also give a shot of B12 for appetite.

CAB

It'll go down in a few days & up until yesterday I would have said give it Dex, but a friend of mine had one with some swelling & his vet didn't want to use Dex B/C it supposedly may hurt the calf's immune system. The sugar trick would be worth a try from what I have heard.

SWMO

Ok I'll bite.  How would sugar work to reduce the swelling? I'm alway curious about the actual mechanics of how and why a particular treatment works.  In this case I just have to question how sugar works on swelling?

We have had several  calves with swollen tongues over the years and  they have all gone down on their own.  We just tube the calf until it can suck.

cattlechick

I have seen a calf that this happened and the tongue lost feeling and sometimes hangs out the side. But no problems in eating or anything. good luck

BCCC

SWMO said:
Ok I'll bite.  How would sugar work to reduce the swelling? I'm alway curious about the actual mechanics of how and why a particular treatment works.  In this case I just have to question how sugar works on swelling?

We have had several  calves with swollen tongues over the years and  they have all gone down on their own.  We just tube the calf until it can suck.

NO IDEA why it works but it does for some reason

red

I agree w/ Ohio B on this one. we've had them born like that when it's been a difficult or breech birth. I imagine it will go down in a couple of days. Best thing is to tube until the swelling has gone down enough for it to nurse. Make sure you gave it colostrum since it probably didn't get any.

Keep us informed!

Red

knabe

The sugar reduces swelling by drawing out the excess fluid.  i guess it does this as sugar is a crystal, and it absorbs the moisture till it reaches equilibrium.

fluffer

You can use sugar on a prolaps too.

Our big tongue calf was finally able to make progress by nursing the cow this morning.  I was getting really tired of milking that rip out and squarting the bottle down that calfs throat.  He was so hungry and trying to nurse so much.  I felt bad for the poor fella.  We didnt' want to give him too much and make him scour though.

Fluffer

P-F

Just an update the calf did die, he was in pretty bad shape, we had been tubing him but like I said before he was about dead when we found him, he was 120 pound mossy oak out of a chill factor x meyer.

He belonged to the guy who helps us with marketing and we have always raised Angus, Maine Angus (cunia lines), and are getting into the Simmis.  This year we are going to breed about 20 cows for Clubbies, Sometimes I wonder if it will be worth it, I hate calving problems!