black baldie as a breeding bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

christcruiser

I am new to this, so please be patient with me. I recently purchased a 10 acre farm. Have been raising chickens. My neighbor had a black baldie bull calf orphaned by his mother. I have been bottle feeding him since he was 12 hours old.He is currently 3 weeks old. My question is, will he be a good breeding bull, for a very small scale herd? 1 or 2 heifers. and should I breed him to Angus or hereford

showsteerdlux

The biggest concern I would have is why was he orphaned? Did the dam die while having him? Was he a big calf?

Also, what breed is he? What did he look like when he was born? Another thought is, when bulls get to where they like to come up and be babied, they are really dangerous.

I have heard of people keeping bottle fed heifers for mommas, but not very often do you see this with bull calves.

Personally, I would raise him until he is around 5 or 600 pounds, steer him, then sell him at the yards and use the money to buy a bull.

Limiman12

For one or two heifers. You don't need a bull!  Instead of a bull and one or two heifers have two or three heifers and find someone to AI them for you, or a neighbor that will let you lease a bull, or will (for a fee) run your three with their cows and bull for 45 days.