black female

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I am having trouble getting a black cow to breed.She is black. I was wondering if anyone has had problem in getting black hided females to breed on time. Is it a genetic thing? Thanks in advance.

DL

aj said:
I am having trouble getting a black cow to breed.She is black. I was wondering if anyone has had problem in getting black hided females to breed on time. Is it a genetic thing? Thanks in advance.

aj - it is well known that the fertility gene sits right next to the red gene - consequently the anti fertility gene hangs with the black locus - so homozygous black females are sterile, heterozygous females are semi fertile, and red females you can't keep from getting pregnant - they just wiff the semen - all this genetic work was done by a famous gene jockey from Izbeckastan

He also has a bridge available if you are interested...

aj

Good news. The vet told me the black hided cow was kinda pregnant. I AM hoping for a black calf cause the neighbor told me black cattle are good.

Telos

AJ, I can understand you being prejudice against Black hides but it is about the Camel Jockeys that a don't understand.  ???

... and by the way, who do you think gets credit for breeding those two humped camels that have a built in saddle so you can cross the dessert sands for days on end without any water. Now that is practical functionality at it's best.

DL

Telos said:
AJ, I can understand you being prejudice against Black hides but it is about the Camel Jockeys that a don't understand.  ???

... and by the way, who do you think gets credit for breeding those two humped camels that have a built in saddle so you can cross the dessert sands for days on end without any water. Now that is practical functionality at it's best.

Actually Telos - I would never argue with a man of your vast knowledge but I believe that you are mistaken about the camels - what I learned in school (and that sure could be wrong) is that camels are basically two 50 gallon water jugs with legs, long neck and a face only a mother could love. They carry no reproductive organs given that all the space is taken up by water for those long desert trips - so when a camel jockey requires a baby camel he (there are no she camel jockeys - it is forbidden) asks the Great God of Multicolored Beefpacas to halt Beefpaca production for one day and create a baby camel. This custom ordered baby camel is created to specific design requirements as requested by the jock and delivered by the Giant Asian Stork. There is currently some talk about a hybrid camel - one that could carry both water and whiskey or perhaps light and dark beer - I am not privy to that information.

DLD

Wow...

It's too bad that the Great God of Multicolored Beefpacas (maybe just GGMB for short?) doesn't look with favor upon the steer jockeys. If GGMB were to design baby steers to requested specs, somebody'd be makin' piles of money. Especially if they had the capacity to carry light beer - Maybe in the oversized rear ends they'd be sure to ask for???

Speaking of black hides, I'm off to AI a blue roan cow to JPJ... Hoping that GGMB may bless me in my pursuit of the elusive purple roan  ;)

aj

I currently own a two hump camel and I am transplanting her to a shorthorn bull. I am not sure it will take but if it does I am going to register it as a shorthorn plus. I am hoping for at least one hump. If "it" is a female...I will of course breed her to a black hided bull of some kind. ;D

DL

DLD said:
Wow...

It's too bad that the Great God of Multicolored Beefpacas (maybe just GGMB for short?) doesn't look with favor upon the steer jockeys. If GGMB were to design baby steers to requested specs, somebody'd be makin' piles of money. Especially if they had the capacity to carry light beer - Maybe in the oversized rear ends they'd be sure to ask for???

Speaking of black hides, I'm off to AI a blue roan cow to JPJ... Hoping that GGMB may bless me in my pursuit of the elusive purple roan  ;)

DLD - I will pass on to the GGMB your request - the GGMB looks favorably on people who swerve to miss DL in the field - so you you should be in good stead! Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) the GGMB is interested primarily in providing and promoting those unusual species with reproductive issues - one could certainly argue that bigg butted hairy steers are not on the endangered list  ::) on the other hand a big butted hairy black steer capable of carrying a jocks entire show supply of beverage could be a hot item with the Christmas season upon us -  ;)

aj that sounds like a really exciting adventure - maybe we could work on the different color hump deal - a black hump and a red hump? a red roan hump and a blue roan hump - the possibilities are just mind boggling - I sure with you could get an answer about that cow you keep asking about - if she is clean imagine the possibilities when crossed with a 2 humped camel - the Shorthorn Plus world would never be the same

It is snowing
(clapping) (clapping)

aj

I wonder what a 1 and one half humped camel mated to a appendix Llama-alpaca cross would be considered. Would it be a hump half lumpy purple pacama maintainer plus with vitamin b-12 added. Or would it be acrossbred(not even a f-1). Just food and vitamins for thought. ;D. You know me I never try to cause trouble. PS I bet bolze doesn't miss the great shorthorn theft mystery occuring right now. I saw a deal on 60 minutes about a mafia connection .... I'm just kidding ;D

Telos

It seems like it was just yesterday we were discussing Watergate and Deep Throat. I can't remember how Camelids evolved from Deep Throat, but it appears we have gone through another Ice Age.

Trivia you must or must not know; The original Camelids evolved on the North American Continent. The Syrian Camel was as tall as the Giraffe and Elephant. Can you imagine running across one of those. Scientist have theorized they became extinct because they may have been used as a food source.

DL

aj said:
I wonder what a 1 and one half humped camel mated to a appendix Llama-alpaca cross would be considered. Would it be a hump half lumpy purple pacama maintainer plus with vitamin b-12 added. Or would it be acrossbred(not even a f-1). Just food and vitamins for thought. ;D. You know me I never try to cause trouble. PS I bet bolze doesn't miss the great shorthorn theft mystery occuring right now. I saw a deal on 60 minutes about a mafia connection .... I'm just kidding ;D

I believe that would be a halfalumpapaca plus, however if mated the other way it would be a pacalumpahalfa tainer - I believe also that Bob Woodward owns a few of these they are kept in a very secret place - something about hydration and enclosures.... (cow)

chambero

We have a rancher in our area that raises camels - seriously.  Some interesting facts according to him (I've never bothered to verify these nuggest cause I ain't that interested in camels, but they sound good anyway):

A female camel can have her baby whenever she wants to (up to a few months later) once it reaches full gestation.  I guess it might be useful in the desert to not give birth when you are a long way from a water hole.  From a practical standpoint, if you hack one off or stress one out they may get mad and refuse to have a baby for a few months.

Bulls can tell which calves are theirs and will kill anything babies that aren't their own.  They don't bother their own at all.

If you want a "tame" camel, it has to be weaned from mother immediately after birth and bottle fed - which requires very frequent feedings for quite a while.

There is a big camel sale in Missouri somewhere every year.  The lighter their color the more money they bring.

Rocky Hill Simmental

The highway I live on is quite interesting. After you get down the other way from my ranch there's a little pen with a buffalo heifer in it. Once you get to the end of the highway you see a pen full of goats and 1 elk running with them. Turn right and there's a farm with camels, brahmas, llamas, sheep, and pgymy goats. The camels are the best. I've heard of people running off the road because they were starring at them.  ;D