Black/red carrier angus cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

A.P.

I have noticed that several canadian red angus breeders have black cows that carry a red gene. Are these cows registered as red angus or can their red progeny be registered with the red angus association if they are born red and not black?

Red Cow Relocators

The Canadians run both red and black in one herd book so the color of the offspring doesn't matter. RCR

A.P.

ok thanks for the clarifying. Next question if you buy a black/red carrier in the us and have red offspring can they be registered as american red angus.

Red Cow Relocators

A.P. said:
ok thanks for the clarifying. Next question if you buy a black/red carrier in the us and have red offspring can they be registered as american red angus.

Absolutely! That is where the breed originated from. You can register a red calf out of a black cow in the U.S. but you cannot register a black calf out of a red cow in the AAA. RCR

Red Cow Relocators

Red Cow Relocators said:
A.P. said:

Absolutely! That is where the breed originated from. You can register a red calf out of a black cow in the U.S. but you cannot register a black calf out of a red cow in the AAA. RCR
You can however register the black calf in the ARA as I believe a Catagory II. RCR

obie105

Cab is the biggest joke out there. An animal just has to be black hided to get the stamp on them when they are killed no granted then they have to grade also but I have seen Holsteins be marked so all in theory if they graded well enough they could be cab. HMO. They need to change it up so there is documentation that it is really an Angus.

BadgerFan

aj said:
Are there any Red Angus out there by say Ohlde's Anchor bull?

haven't seen Anchor, but 5L has tons of them with OCC Legend in the pedigree.