Black sires on Shorthorns

Help Support Steer Planet:

marsh

What is everyone's opinion on a good black bull to use on a purebred Shorthorn cow?  She is a Double Vision that is THF and PHAC.  Very good cow that has had good calves from Chiller and Eskimo Joe.  I am flushing her to Sonny soon and would like to also flush her to a black bull.  Following the flushes she will be bred to Jakes Proud Jazz.  I am thinking Sun Seeker, but did now know how he would work on Shorties and thought maybe someone had some experience with other bulls.  I know the Shorthorn Plus deal is getting popular and would like to get some halfblood clubby calves.  The cow is very clean fronted, moderate, great depth, good bone, with moderate thickness.  Thank you for any suggestions.

red

Gigolo Joe

Look on page 63 in the Show Circuit. He worked well w/ a Shorthorn cow.

Red

AAOK

red said:
Gigolo Joe

Look on page 63 in the Show Circuit. He worked well w/ a Shorthorn cow.

Red

I saw the picture too.  I wonder if the cow was really an ugly Shorthorn?

red

also a commercial cow & a damn good Maine cow! Had to laugh at their descriptions.

Red

CAB

Juli' & Brad's heifer out of the SH cow is super good, but the mating here with the most predictability is no doubt Hannibal. That being said, I am planning on breeding Joe to 2 or SH cows that I have, but they are not DS or DV cows. JMO.

Jill

We are breeding a Black Dice X Vegas 1/2 blood shorthorn for a flush next week to Gigolo Joe.  Out of all the purbred bulls out there, we thought he had the most to offer.  Our other donor of the same breeding (embryo flushmate) we own in a partnership and they chose Milk Man for that flush for a more clubby type calf.

OH Breeder

If I may ask, i am assuming you are shooting for show calves? I think you can go many different ways. you can go maine purebred or there are a ton of good other good bulls. The thing using a purebred maine you can register the calf with Shorthorn assc. if red as 7/8's. I guess before I selected the bull I think what kind of calf I wanted.

marsh

Yes I am shooting for show calves.  The flush with Sonny should give me some good Shorthorn show calves and breeding stock.  I am looking for a black bull to add some power and give me some cool colored show steers or heifers.  The cow is a red neck roan and could have some cool blue roans.

OH Breeder

marsh said:
Yes I am shooting for show calves.  The flush with Sonny should give me some good Shorthorn show calves and breeding stock.  I am looking for a black bull to add some power and give me some cool colored show steers or heifers.  The cow is a red neck roan and could have some cool blue roans.

I may get boo'd for this one, but I would not hesitate to use Who Made Who on a structurely sound cow. I really like my wmw females and they make great club cows.

marsh

I won't boo you on WMW.  I have made a lot of money on Who steers, but I have never had a heifer good enough to keep.  I am a small breeder so I just have not had enough of them.  This cow is sound, but I would be concerned the calves would not be big enough out of who - she is pretty moderate.  Thanks for the suggestion though because if she was bigger I probably would go that way.

red

Oh B- lots of winner have come from WMW so no booing here. My cows just aren't made for him.

Red

CAB

Unless they have 2 heads or 3 legs, we pretty much will keep all WMW's. They nick with so many bulls and most all of them will milk with a great bag put under them.

Dero

We have an Eagle Scout son by the name of VOL Royal Scout, by pedigree he is clean of TH and PHA. We have successfuly used him on shorty cows.

justintime

I have been using this cross but in reverse. Using Shorthorn sires on black cows. I used a white DV son on the black cows and we had some cool blues. The blue color is not as easy as one would think to get. Some of mine are almost black with white on their underlines. We have found the blues to be easy to sell, steers or heifers, and we don't have the clubbie market that most of you do. I keep a group of blue heifers and bred them to another white Shorthorn bull with the hopes of getting lighter bluer roans. So far, 3 have calved... and we have 3 pure white calves... all heifers of course. I was not expecting this as I thought that with the dominance of the black gene, that while there was the possibility of a white calf, that we would most likely get the roan color again. It seems strange to only be 2 generations from purebred Angus cows, to have white calves. I have another solid black cow, that was bred to a red neck roan XRay Vision son. She has a red neck roan heifer to die for! This calves is virtually white with a red neck... and is a real cutie..... she walks and talks.

RSC

If Blue is what your looking for you might try Rock Star, HW or another HW son.  Below is the same breeding but the opposite way around.  This heifer is a Sin City out of a solid black Rock Star cow.

Good Luck and let us know what you try,

RSC

Attachments

• 08 Calves 1 Blue Hfr.jpg
    08 Calves 1 Blue Hfr.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 593

red

Tony- if we ever take a road trip, I'm putting you on one of my stops!

Red

CAB

Red, when you hit the nationals this July, you won't really be very far away from Tony. I haven't been up to Common Sense's spread yet, but you sure wouldn't be very far from their place either. Have a good day, Cab.

red

my trouble is I'm just going to be flying in Wednesday & leaving Saturday morning. I'm at the mercy of my drivers. I hope to maybe get someplace at night. Maybe I can work something out before hand. would love to get some tours in.

Red