Blast from Past for you Shorthy breeders

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

Can anyone guess who this is? I have a collection of Shorthorn World magazines from 1947 to 1950.
This breeder appreared in the 1950 addition. The photos in the magazine are great.

Hint number one: Shorthorn Breeder still active today. Picture is from 1950.

Attachments

• Mystery Picture.jpg
    Mystery Picture.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 387
  • 1950 Shorthorn World Cover.jpg
    1950 Shorthorn World Cover.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 364

red

I was looking through so old books that I had gotten from my grandfather. I found a texbook of his from 1922 called Types & Market Classes of Livestock" Lots of old pictures of really popluar show cattle back then. Also had his hadwritten notes on judging livestock. Make me cry a little. Sometimes I'm sentimantal.

Red

OH Breeder

clifflem said:
Would that be Jack Ragsdale from Sutherland Farms?
ONe more hint- Located in Nebraska. Many animals from there herd carry the Ar Su Lu...in their name.

jimmyski

Would it be Art Bakenhus? I know that Bakenhus's carry the Ar Su Lu prefix. When I was at UNL I got to know his grandson pretty well through Livestock Judging ll along with meeting Ward, who now runs the day to day operations. They seem to be more successful with their bulls than heifers but a very nice operation.

shortyjock89

The ol'  Bakenhus family....good folks.  They have done VERY well with their bulls, and even with their heifers.  The last time they had National Champion was in the 90's though I think. IDK who the guy in the pic is tho haha!!

OH Breeder

[size=10pt]YOU ARE CORRECT. Arthur Bakenhus.
I scanned the inside cover for you SJC. Cover page is a steer from Brown's in Kentucky. Sutherland All Steak by Hickories Ransom 9th.
[/size]

Attachments

• Mystery Picture.jpg
    Mystery Picture.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 325
  • 1950 Shorthorn World Cover Inside Cover.jpg
    1950 Shorthorn World Cover Inside Cover.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 309

OH Breeder

For those more glamorous show people.......

Attachments

• 1947 Shorthorn Show.jpg
    1947 Shorthorn Show.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 316

OH Breeder

THanks, I have tons of these pictures from old magazines. I really enjoy reading the old stories and information.

DA

I love looking at pictures of how livestock have changed from then to now, but its sad in a way. Thanks

OH Breeder

I have a female from his farm. She is really productive easy keeper and an excellent mother. They seem like really nice folks. I just thought it was an interesting peice of memorabilia.