Bling in the Ring

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

I was looking at the bling halters that came in different colors a couple of months ago, i cant find the ad now and i was wondering what everyone thought of them.  They were a good price. For those that are judges on here what would you say if you saw me walk into the ring (showmanship or market) with a halter like that on? I really do like them and my brothers 4-H leader shows shorthorns and has a white one for white calves that looks nice, i just wonder what a judge would think/say if anything?

Jill

The only judge I ever heard make a comment about them didn't like them, he didn't like bling in the ring at all.

Rocky Hill Simmental

A lot of people around here show their black cattle with a white leather (?) show halter. One guy had a green and white one and I think I saw a pink one somewhere. The judge never said anything about them.

I thought about getting one of those rhinestone show halters from Sullivans. I need another show halter anyway because I have a heifer who will probably be grown out of a medium halter by next year.

The strange colors are a little too much though. I like the dull brown and black ones for leather. The blues and reds look good as nylon chain showhalters but I wouldn't go anything other than that. I do like rhinestones though.  ;D

cattlechick

I think that it is just personal prefference if you want to sport a bling halter. Personally, I am always wearing bling on myself, but when it comes to cattle, I think that the halters are a little overboard, I like to think that its the animal in the halter that should be the focus, not the halter onthe animal. Just my opinion...

renegade

I dont know about different colors but i do like the origanality, the ability to set you apart, i know skill and a good animal are most important and are what set you apart but i do like it.  I just wonder how proffesional it would look. Why would you want a white halter on a black animal? Contrast?

Show Heifer

Everyone around here shows black cattle with black leather halters. Red Angus, shorties, are shown with brown halters. have only been to one show where someone had a "bling" halter. Judge commented that "although eye catching it detracted away from the animal."
So take it for what it is worth....

I personally would not like it, nor would I show with one. But I am kinda low key!!! ::)

Ruchian

Around here it is the same as Show Heifer said, black on black, brown on just about everything else.  I don't really like them and wouldn't show in one, but I try to have my animal stand out instead of me.

shorthorns r us

is your goal to exhibit your heifer or you and a halter.  the more times you catch the judges eye the more times he gets to look for a whole in your calf.

nosejob8807

you know.. ive been showing my heifers/steers with "bling halters" for a couple years.. and if i had known to sell them to people before sullivans did.. i think i'd be rich hehe.. anyways.. never had a problem with judges saying anything about them (even in showmanship) i also had a bling showstick (ya.. it was flippin awsome) and never had a judge say n e thing about it.. i would still have those showsticks.. but someone stole both of them!

Turkey Creek Ranch

How I was taught....you want the judge to notice the calf...no all the stuff you wear or other stuff you put on the calf

we ALWAYS use black leather halters from sullivan show supply....VERY durable and clean up great with a little armor all

Ruchian

nosejob8807 said:
i also had a bling showstick (ya.. it was flippin awsome)

What is a bling show stick?  I've seen a lot of different colored show sticks but not a "bling" one.

nosejob8807

i had put rhinestones on the showstick spiraling down.. ya.. took a couple hours to do it.. i had used super glue (dont use it) and glued my fingers to the stick every once in a while.. would have a picture *IF* i still had those sticks.. it was really cool lookin (well to me it was)

knabe

what happened to the wooden show sticks?  people kept breaking them?

i think the bling on the exhibitor is ok, like the belts, some shirts that are area appropriate, ie surf and turf, but in the open classes, it's about the animal.

surprised to see not many people wearing wranglers anymore, or ropers, or just cowyboy stuff anymore.

stick

I've seen girls come in the ring with more bling than Robert Redford in The Electric Horseman". And guess who wins showmanship, deserving or not.

Ruchian

knabe said:
surprised to see not many people wearing wranglers anymore, or ropers, or just cowyboy stuff anymore.

I usually wear carhart jeans, because of comfort, and a western style shirt to show in.  Then again I wear that to school almost everyday.

renegade

I wear black jeans, black boots, belt and buckle, and a western shirt or ffa jacket( with tie and white shirt) I want to get either some polos or long sleeved shirts embroiderd so it looks nice and represents my farm when i show, with extra ones for my family or if i have someone helping me show.  It amazes me to see people show with shirts untucked, t-shirts, sweaters but i think it is because i was raised showing horses and rodeo queening so i never go into a ring without looking nice.