bloat & dry laundry detergent

Help Support Steer Planet:

ATOZ

Thanks for the concern and i understand your reasons. My reason for doing this is because the guy i bought the steer from told me that he had problems with this calf bloating on his show/creep ration which is corn, oats, cottonseed hulls and protein pellet. So he put him on a corn, corn gluten and protein ration and for 2 months straight never had any problem. I brought him home and put him on my ration which is corn,oats,cottonseed,& Purina 4-t fyer. He was fine for about 2 weeks and then he bloated. So i was thinking that it may be the cottonseed hulls or the oats( which are whole and I'm going to try steam flaked now)because he did not do it on his corn ration. And also the seller is aware of my problem and has told me to bring him back for a full refund but i told him that i was not done trying to figure him out yet. So additional help or thoughts would be helpful!

CAB

ATOZ, you are lucky that the seller is willing to work with you. I would keep in contact with him as you go forward. What does he say if the calf dies while you are trying to get him figured out? I would be tempted to return him and replace him if it's not too late for what your plans were. I am still fighting the bloat problem that I have been dealing with.  The ration that you are talking about putting him back on is the one that this calf is bloating on. I have pulled her off by herself and am totally trying to restart her from scratch. Many of you board members that have PMed me, thank you for your concern and the recipes that you have suggested that I try. I appreciate yourhelp very much. I'm still hoping to get her regulated. Again ATOZ, it can be a slippery slope. try to keep your seller advised and try to make wise decisions. It sounds to me like you are working with a very stand-up guy. I hope the best for you. Cab

ATOZ

CAB, how often does your calf bloat? Ours will bloat about every 3rd day then go down and do it again in a couple of days. Good luck!

DL

I'm with you CAB - bloat - pull them off all grain, supplements, etc - go back to grass hay all they want and get the rumen cooking normally. Then gradually add back to full ration - if you burn up the rumen and end up with rumen acidosis you are in a world of hurt. I'd send the calf back. Bloating becomes a bigger problem as the season progresses, DL

SWMO

DL, Can't the little flapper (I know very technical term) get infected and cause bloat sometimes a round of antibiotics will help.

I do know that in the course of 20 years that we have had two calves that were chronic bloaters one was still sucking the cow when he started bloating.  Straight to the butcher for them.

DL

SWMO said:
DL, Can't the little flapper (I know very technical term) get infected and cause bloat sometimes a round of antibiotics will help.

I do know that in the course of 20 years that we have had two calves that were chronic bloaters one was still sucking the cow when he started bloating.  Straight to the butcher for them.

That darn little flapper (esophageal groove - I think is what you are thinking of) - when the calf sucks the milk is suppose to go directly to the abomasum (stomach #4, like our stomach) but if the groove is screwy (or soemtimes bucket babies) it goes into the rumen and ferments and they can bloat and get infections.

ALso calves with pneumonia or anything that interfers with the big gut nerve (vagus) can bloat - but most of the time it is directly related to what we feed...

CAB

Our calf has been going up every 4-5 days. We have to take her down & oil her @ that time. Does your's go down without help?

ROAD WARRIOR

A bag of Paloxolene meal will go along ways for a repetative bloater. It only takes about a teaspoon per feeding.

ATOZ

Only one time I had to put 20 oz of veg. oil down him but other than that he will go down on his own. What is Paloxolene and where do you get it!?

DL

ATOZ said:
Only one time I had to put 20 oz of veg. oil down him but other than that he will go down on his own. What is Paloxolene and where do you get it!?

Poloxaline (AKA Bloatguard AKA Therabloat (I think) - get the sweetlix block at most feed mills - suspect they can also order the meal...good luck

ROAD WARRIOR

ATOZ said:

I buy it in 25 pound from a local feed wholesaler. It's about $75.00 a bag but it lasts forever if you keep it dry.

ATOZ

Since i have been feeding 50% corn 50% rolled steamed oats he has not bloated. Have any of you heard of whole oats and cottonseed hulls making a calf bloat? I'm trying to figure out what is making him bloat, also can too much liquid molasses make a calf bloat? Any thoughts or ideas might help! ( DL and myself)

shortyjock89

Too much liquid molasses can certain make a calf bloat..In fact, a friend of mine had to remove molasses from his feed completely two years in a row...both steers out of Kadabra...coincidence? Idk....

CAB

Thanks to all who tried to help me with your recipes to cure bloat. We thought that we had gotten our heifer settled down, but walked out find her gone Sat morning. How are getting along with your's ATOZ?

chambero

Sorry to hear about her.  That's a bad feeling walking up on one.  Some of them you just can't save.  My boy's steer fell into that category.

CAB

Thanks Chambero, I thought she was one of the best heifers that we had ever had. I am disappointed and feel bad for my son. It's his last year and we were planning on showing her around more than usual. We'll have to see how some of the others come on. We have a couple of good ones, but I don't know how much competition that they can handle. I know we should just go for the fun, but it costs so much to do anything anymore. Thanks again. Sincerely, Cab.

DL

CAB said:
  Thanks to all who tried to help me with your recipes to cure bloat. We thought that we had gotten our heifer settled down, but walked out find her gone Sat morning. How are getting along with your's ATOZ?

CAB - I can't tell you how much I hate it when that happens - sorry for you loss and your sons - that is totally a drag - DL

chambero

CAB said:
It's his last year and we were planning on showing her around more than usual. We'll have to see how some of the others come on.

Oh no.  That is even worse (I honestly mean that).  I bet he is absolutely sick.  I still remember from 20 years ago (literally) the feelding I had when I lost a really good Hereford steer my junior year two weeks before Fort Worth.  They came and pulled me out of class to tell me when he was found in the middle of the day.

I'm assuming this was also a pretty tough financial hit that keeps you from just going and getting another one.  Honestly, I'd go "knocking" on breeders doors to see if somone had a really good heifer that needed someone to show it.  Even the big breeders can't find homes for all of their good ones.

DLD

I sure hate to hear that CAB, I know that's tough for your family. Hope you can find another good one to replace her, somehow.