bloat in cow?

Help Support Steer Planet:

RAWANGUS

have a cow who is 8 mths bred. and she got into barn and ate at least 100 lbs. of 14 % grain.  how soon should i know if she will bloat.  she looks pretty round all the time.  thanks a bunch

leanbeef

Yep...the potential for bloat isn't your only problem here. Acidosis could be deadly, and she could also founder. You wanna take precaution against all three potentially dangerous issues. And the quicker the better! You should be able to treat her yourself, but I'd call a vet and get a recommendation. I think mineral oil will help with bloat... I used to know a trick to help protect against founder in a situation like this, and I can't remember what it was!

CAB

If she ate that much and it was all grain, you need to get a vet involved ASAP. Don't wait!! Overload is way more of a concern than bloat. Dehydration, acidosis, & founder are your main concerns right now. You'll also need some antihistamine into her system asap to help prevent foundering. You'll need to treat her for a few days here up close. Again if it wasn't all strait grain you'll have a better chance, but don't wait and see on this one. Be proactive.

RAWANGUS

thanks so much for everyone's help.  since the problem she has done well.