Bloat Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLB

Got a heifer that is bloating as of late (off and on for the past 2weeks)  She was fed 12lbs Honor ShowChow Fitter's Edge, 8oz VitaFerm SureChamp, and  2lbs beet pulp plus free choice coastal hay.  The kid I have showing her feeds 12lbs Honor ShowChow Fitter's Edge, 8oz VitaFerm SureChamp and hay....NO beet pulp.  Would the lack of beet pulp cause her to bloat?  She's not bloating severely (the only sign she's shown is a little bulge on her left side....not foot stomping or belly kicking)...and she still has a good appetite when she bloats too.  The only change in her feeding is no beet pulp.  Any ideas of what might be causing the bloat?  Thank you ahead for any insight!

Ohio1

I'm not sure what is causing the bloat but how long does it take to go Down?

shorthornmn

We had a show heifer doing this all spring. She was a super easy keeper and had loads of rib. Same symptoms as you-little bulge on side, no belly kicking, still hungry, and took an hour or two to go away. This happened for about a month and finally stopped happening. If you are really concerned though you might speak to a vet about this. Good luck.

leanbeef

That little bit of beet pulp might be the difference in the heifer having an adequate amount of roughage or fiber in her diet. Can the mid not just add the beet pulp? Or have em increase her hay a little. The Tide works, but I wouldn't want that to be the whole & final solution. It may seem minor at this point, but bloat can get serious very quickly, and then you're lucky if it isn't fatal.